REFLECTOR: TAS calibration?

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 14:56:22 CDT 2013


Guys,

My pitot/static is positioned under the canard - I suspect it is seeing
increased pressure at high speeds thus giving me a low indicated airspeed.
 This weekend, I thought I was smart and put a small static port right
ahead of the dog house thinking that was a great place.  After a quick
flight where my air speeds were through the roof, I realized that that spot
was actually doing the opposite and was creating a low pressure region as
the air bends over the nose.  I see now that I need to find a place on the
flat section of the fuselage to put the static port.

Where does everyone else have their static port?

Thanks.

Geoff


On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Kurt Winker <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Sounds like a trip-strip may be in order.
>
> Kurt
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 29, 2013, at 6:47, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would assume that you are factoring altitude and temperature when
> calculating TAS. If so, airspeed error might be related to a pressurization
> of the static system (a common problem in Velocity aircraft that have their
> static port located forward of the entry door).
> >
> > Scott Baker
> >
> >> On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> Flying today I realized that my ground speed seems to be always greater
> than my TAS.  I figured at least some of the time it should be less (i.e.
> into a headwind).  But it always seemed to be greater.  So, today, I flew
> in a box, E, W, N, S and recorded my TAS and GS.  My TAS was constant at
> 159ktas on each leg, and my GS (GPS) was 185, 179, 171, 175 for the W, N,
> E, S legs.  If I add all those up and divide by four, I get 177.5kts, yet
> my TAS registered 158ktas.  Am I missing something?  Is my airspeed
> indicator reading too low?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Geoff
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130930/d039f372/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list