REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 102, Issue 89- Gear up landings
Mark Riley
the_rileys1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 18:06:32 CDT 2013
I am one of those who "have". I did a gear up landing at Vero Beach in my Std Elite RG in 2000. I realized my mistake when I heard my prop hit. I cut the power and gently set the airplane down. I slid down the runway and was able to easily maintain directional control with the rudders and keep the wings level with the ailerons. There wasn't even an appreciable bump. The air frame is extremely resilient and, given the curve of the fuselage, only a small spot actually touches the runway.
I had no injury and the only damage to the plane besides the prop was a minor scrape a few inches in diameter on the belly and a scuffed lower winglet. The factory put a new prop on it and flew it out the next day.
The takeaway is that if you do a gear up, don't do anything dramatic. Once your prop hits, accept that you are done. It is better to settle gently another 2 feet onto the runway than to zoom climb and wipe out. I know it is easier said than done, but I hope my misadventure illustrates that sliding down the runway can be the lesser of two evils once you have screwed the pooch.
P.S. That fire retardant foam from the big fluorescent fire trucks tastes terrible.
Mark
On Sep 24, 2013, at 1:00 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> reflector at tvbf.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Airpark Property Lender (nmflyer1 at aol.com)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:45:01 -0400 (EDT)
> From: nmflyer1 at aol.com
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Airpark Property Lender
> Message-ID: <8D0875C8BF59527-1C0-20F32 at webmail-d161.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>
> Mark,
>
> I live on an airpark. Got my loan from my credit union, no problem. We have about 80 homes in our airpark, and I have never heard a problem of obtaining a loan. Getting a knowledgeable appraiser can be another matter. \
> Let me know if I can help any further.
>
> Kurt
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> To: Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Cc: Mark Blue Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> Sent: Tue, Sep 24, 2013 9:06 am
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Airpark Property Lender
>
>
> All,
> orry in advance for an off-axis topic, yet important in my aviation: anyone
> now of a lender who lends on Airpark (airport home) properties?
> triking out with my usual channels on this.
> Thanks
> Mark B. Magee
> 34XL XLFG
> ent from IPhone 4S
>
> ______________________________________________
> o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130924/4a3ed276/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 102, Issue 89
> ******************************************
More information about the Reflector
mailing list