REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 102, Issue 82
Brett Ferrell
reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Sep 24 05:34:58 CDT 2013
I've got the light too, but I'm guessing that if I were distracted
enough to not check the door (on the checklist) I wouldn't see the
light either. All of these door accidents have me so paranoid that I
check each door about 3 times before departing...
--
Brett Ferrell
reflector at velocityxl.com
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013, at 11:07 PM, Patrick Sieders wrote:
I would say a door opening up creates a perfect warninghorn by itself.
It
will startle you I'm sure.. And the aftermath will create nervousness
and
a blow to the confidence. Again, FLY FIRST! And yes, checklist usage !
Read it out loud, even if you are alone, and answer yourself.. You will
be 'in the game'
My humble CFI experience
Patrick sieders
-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Winker <[1]nmflyer1 at aol.com>
Sent: September 23, 2013 21:54
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <[2]reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 102, Issue 82
Or. One could follow the checklists & remain vigilant. I don't
necessarily disagree with the point, but people, in general, are taking
less & less responsibility for their situations.
Cease abdicating responsibility and do your job as PIC.
Kurt.
Sent from my iPad
On Sep 23, 2013, at 20:49, Tim Rhodenbaugh <[3]timrhod at aol.com> wrote:
So in all this discussion where are the warning systems to alert pilots
of open doors or gear still up. In my XLRG I have a door unlatched
warning light right in my face. It paid off well one day when from
vibration my door mechanism came apart and the pins slid out of their
housings. I immediately got a warning door open light . I checked my
door and sure enough it was no longer latched. I had to hold it closed
with the Handle until I landed. I have two gear up warnings. One is a
audible " landing gear" "landing gear" and is based on air speed. The
second warning is a shrill siren as in so loud you can't ignore it and
it is based on throttle position. I know even with these it is
possible to have something go wrong but a whole lot less likely . Let's
design into our planes as much safety as we can. Tim Rhodenbaugh. N
370TR XLRG
Sent from my iPad
On Sep 23, 2013, at 7:51 PM, John Dibble <[4]aminetech at bluefrog.com>
wrote:
Good advice. And then there are distractions. In my 1000 hours flying
RG, I never forgot to lower my gear.....except once. I was returning
to my airport at night. The runway lights and beacon were out, but the
notam wasn't yet issued, so I had no idea. Using my standard
procedure, I set up on a 10 mile final using my gps. The runway lights
seemed faint (that's because they were the taxiway lights) and that
caused me to focus on them. Yeah, I was flying the plane just fine.
When I was about 30' above the "runway", I noticed the white markings
of the real runway off to my left and realized I was over the taxiway.
I added power, and climbed. As I made the turn to go around, that's
when I realized my gear was up. Glad I didn't decide to land on the
taxiway! Fortunately someone was at the airport and I had him position
his truck at the beginning of the runway with lights on, so I could get
lined up with the runway and I landed, no problem.
John
On 9/23/2013 6:02 PM, Patrick Sieders wrote:
Not to judge
What Scott wrote is certainly true, and is hammered on in my company
flying the 'big metal' around. The chain is there to be broken and it
will if we will remember to always fly the aircraft.
No matter what breaks, your first instinct should always be " Aviate,
Navigate, Communicate". This is certainly something that is not
practiced a lot, and you really have to force yourself to take a deep
breath sometimes, count to 10 and then work the problem. But never,
EVER forget to fly first !
Oh, and forget about all the electronic wizardry.. fly old style, just
remember some the the high profile accidents we have had lately...
Asiana, Air france, Colgan Air..
Something we as a group need to think about and be able to discuss. I
hate to bring this up in a sensitive time, but it needs to be
communicated.
Hope they willbe back home soon and recovering quickly.
Patrick Sieders
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
[5]http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
[6]http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
[7]http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
[8]http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
[9]http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
[10]http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
[11]http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
[12]http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
References
1. mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com
2. mailto:reflector at tvbf.org
3. mailto:timrhod at aol.com
4. mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com
5. http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
6. http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
7. http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
8. http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
9. http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
10. http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
11. http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
12. http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130924/cf8e8497/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list