REFLECTOR: i pad / radio noise

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Sep 16 16:22:05 CDT 2013


On 9/16/2013 1:30 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
> There may be something wrong with your nav antenna.
The nav works fine with the adapter unplugged, so I think the antenna is 
good.  I have only one antenna.

>   Do you have two nav antennas?  Try swapping them out, or make a 
> temporary one and see if that works from inside the fuselage.
>
> The filter you are suggesting is to smooth out power surges/spikes, 
> and is a different animal than RF, capacitive or inductive interference.
> Try to borrow an oscilloscope.  They are very illuminating.  Put it on 
> your mains bus, and turn loads on and off to see which is possibly 
> making power surges.  You might be surprised at how some small relays 
> throw spikes into your power lines.
I have 2 low level noises.  One goes away when I turn off the alternator 
and the other goes away when I turn off my EI, so I believe I've 
identified the sources.  So what should I do next?

John

>
> When you find a noisy load, troubleshoot that one only until it's nice 
> and quiet.  Then repeat again.  It will usually reveal a bad crimp, 
> ground loops or other things that will eventually bite you anyway.
>
> On 9/16/2013 12:58 PM, John Dibble wrote:
>> Thanks, everyone for your comments.  Here is where I'm at.  The 
>> ferrite choke collar doesn't help.  I tried another adapter and that 
>> eliminated the radio noise, but the nav problem remains.  A mooney 
>> stopped at our airport yesterday and he's using an adapter and claims 
>> no problems.  I looked at it and tried to get the same one at 
>> Walmart.  Flying in one direction, parallel to a VOR, it didn't seem 
>> to help, but when I turned 180 degrees, the nav seemed to be working 
>> correctly.  I'll get the exact model the next time this guy stops by.
>>
>> I want to put a filter on my alternator.  A Cessna filter was 
>> recommended.  I understand it's a capacitor with a resistor. Can I 
>> make one?
>>
>> Can I put one on my EI as well?  I get a little noise from both the 
>> alternator and EI.
>>
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list