REFLECTOR: EZ-84 hardener
Jack Prock
jackprock at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 8 23:09:17 CDT 2013
The one recommendation I would make with EZ-84 hardener is to not keep it in plastic jugs. Find some glass jars
with metal lids. Something in the hardener can seep through the plastic and that is what makes it slowly go bad.
If you touch the outside of the plastic container after a while, it is slightly sticky... this is the substance that is
going through the plastic. The glass and metal eliminates this seepage and allows it to stay in a usable state MUCH longer.
I know it comes from the factory in plastic, but they go through so much of the stuff, I don’t think they
ever have to worry about spoilage.
I had several batches of the hardener go bad, but once I started placing it in glass, it stays usable
orders of magnitude longer.
Jack
From: Jeff Barnes
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2013 6:43 PM
To: Velocity Reflector
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EZ-84 hardener
Get new hardener. Whatever u threw out started life as an essential ingredient. Consider safety of you and family, and cost of aircraft, vs a couple gallons of hardener.
Do it right.
Good luck, and thanks for asking.
Regards,
Jeff Barnes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com>;
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>;
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EZ-84 hardener
Sent: Mon, Sep 9, 2013 12:29:00 AM
I opened up my hardener yesterday and finally checked it out. It wasn't pretty. The level was down about 4" from the top of the bucket and it was a mess of floating light colored chips, little pellet-like material and mucus-like skim. I immersed the bucket in hot water and stirred it around a lot and things got a lot better but the 'skim' remained. So I pulled most of that out and threw it away. The rest of the hardener is similar to maple syrup in appearance but less viscous. I made a test-lay-up and it seems to be OK. Since I don't have very much experience with fiberglass I'm a little concerned that it's still a little rubbery, but it's been less than 24 hours and most of that time has been in a relatively cool basement of about 66 degrees.
Does anybody else have any advice for me before I make my nose gear door flange out of this stuff and start using it on my kit?
I'm attaching some pictures, hopefully they are small enough to make it into the e-mail. If not you can see them all in their full size glory at:
http://velocity.claychase.com/?p=215
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm> wrote:
Floating a lid on the top of the Hardener keeps the air out and will extend the life of the hardener.
Worked on my hardener build for 10 years and never had a Hardener issue in the pump dispenser.
Ron
On 11/18/2012 10:51 PM, Gattenby wrote:
In my experience...
Oxygenation will turn it dark (black). Not a terrable thing.
Cold will make it thick, crystallize / sludge. Warmth (the hot water trick) can bring it back. But if you try to mix it and put it on the glass while it still has crystals then the layup is garbage.
Leaving it in plastic containers will let the solvent leach out and it will get gummy and is bad. It happens fairly quick ( few months). Faster if you keep it heated.
Transfer it when it's new to glass or metal containers and it will last a few years.
I've tried to use some of the old gummy stuff on non structural things. It doesn't wet out as well, it takes longer to cure, and when you try to drill a hole in it the glass frayed.
Recommend mixing a batch and do a several layer test strip. If it dodgy then I wouldn't use it
Just my 2 cents worth.
The bottom line (pun intended) is
When it's flying would you trust your bottom on that lay up?
Noel
On Nov 18, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Glenn Falkenberg <airmech2 at gmail.com> wrote:
Is it normal for EZ -84 hardener to get lumpy. I have my epoxy box temp set at 70 degrees. Is this normal or is it going bad?
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Small
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30303 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0005.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Small
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 40758 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0006.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Small
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 28248 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0007.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Small
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30340 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0008.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Small
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 24651 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130908/8092798e/attachment-0009.jpe>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list