REFLECTOR: Paint
Douglas Holub
douglas.holub at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 17:48:03 CDT 2013
That's what I used, too.
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Ellzey
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Paint
Dick,
I used AWLGRIP 545 Epoxy primer and AwlCraft 2000 Matterhorn white acrylic Urethane. My 2005 XLRG kit from Velocity, already had the AWLGRIP 545 Epoxy primer applied.
I ordered all of my paint from the following web site.
http://www.bottompaintstore.com/awlcraft-2000-matterhorn-white-f8024-gl-p-9784.html
This AWLGRIP paint is designed for fiberglass boat applications, so it defiantly will work on our fiberglass aircraft. It was easy to use, easy to sand if you made a mistake or wanted to sand between coats. It also allows for easy repairs of runs, bugs, or trash in your paint. Block sand with 1500 and then 2000 wet dry sand paper and lots of water, then buff to a perfect high gloss with a wool buffing pad and finish cut rubbing compound. The beauty of Urethane is that the Urethane shine is all the way through the paint. Don't be fooled by automotive straight Urethane paints. Acrylic Urethane is a lot harder and is used on commercial aircraft that fly at speeds greater than 300 knots. This paint is a lifetime finish for a Velocity Aircraft. We spent years building our dreams, why wouldn't you want it to look its very best.
My thoughts,
Andy Ellzey
N151AJ, XLRG, 12 hours into Phase one testing.
From: Dick Harpster <Dick-CentralSecurity at nc.rr.com>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:12 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Paint
I am getting ready to paint my plane. I would like to get some feedback as to what type of paint to use. The body shop I am working with says he is willing to use whatever I would like. I have looked at Stewart Systems at Air Venture and like what they had to say. My body man thinks I should just use a regular automotive paint. He has used it many times on Corvettes and doesn’t see a difference. Then the question came up on clear coating. It’s more money, but he thinks it worth it. Is there a difference between automotive paints and aviation paints? What have you guys used? I would love some input.
Thanks,
Dick Harpster N585V
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130905/3cc1aadd/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list