REFLECTOR: Paint
Tim Rhodenbaugh
timrhod at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 20:39:54 CDT 2013
Dick I painted my plane a couple of years ago. Initially I was going to use Stewart's. Since I had not done much spray painting I spent allot of time researching and then practicing my painting skills. I got junk car hoods from my local auto body shop that they were getting rid of. I must have painted 15 hoods before I started on my plane. Initially I choose Stewart's system because they were very helpful and they had a compete system with videos that showed you step by step. I studied all their material and videos many times. The primer was great and easy to spray. The color coat is very thin and you must follow their procedures exactly. Very thin first coat then multiple thin coats. Put it on even a little too heavy and you get a run. I liked the gloss shine and color of the final product. BUT and it was a big but. The paint never reached a hardness acceptable for composite or metal surfaces. I could dent it with my fingernail. It would not color sand and therefor was unrepairable. I spoke with both Stewart's multiple times confirmed my technique , multiple times and was confident I was doing it right . Stewart's even confirmed this. I ask them for some referrals of builders who had painted composite planes and they could not give me any. I think their system is fine for fabric airplanes but for me on composite it was just too soft. Too bad because it looked fantastic. I ultimately used PPG Concept paint which has been used on numerous homebuilts. I am very satisfied with the result. You can repair it and not tell there was a repair, it color sands beautifully and my result is better than a new car finish.
Tim Rhodenbaugh N 370TR. XLRG
Sent from my iPad
On Sep 4, 2013, at 5:12 PM, "Dick Harpster" <Dick-CentralSecurity at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I am getting ready to paint my plane. I would like to get some feedback as to what type of paint to use. The body shop I am working with says he is willing to use whatever I would like. I have looked at Stewart Systems at Air Venture and like what they had to say. My body man thinks I should just use a regular automotive paint. He has used it many times on Corvettes and doesn’t see a difference. Then the question came up on clear coating. It’s more money, but he thinks it worth it. Is there a difference between automotive paints and aviation paints? What have you guys used? I would love some input.
> Thanks,
> Dick Harpster N585V
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130904/9c83125b/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list