REFLECTOR: Turbo leaking

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Oct 21 13:47:42 CDT 2013


I installed a restrictor in my turbo supply line, the manufacturer said that
the seals would tend to leak and then blow out if it was just supplied with
an unrestricted line. I can't remember the diameter of the orifice, but it
was probably about 0.10 or so.

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Kurt Winker
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 11:13 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.

 

No turbo here, don't need it to get a calm 340 HP. Didn't want the headache,
heat, or problems up front. 

Later? We'll talk. 

 

Kurt



Sent from my iPad


On Oct 18, 2013, at 11:13, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:

You have a turbo, right?
If it's new, it's going to leak.  Mine leaks pretty bad at the moment, and I
think I'll need to add a restriction in the oil line so that the scavenge
pump can keep up.  I'll just need to be really careful about not restricting
too much.


On 10/18/2013 11:58 AM, nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:

The engines I build don't leak :)  

But they are not ancient technology either!

 

Kurt 



-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Michalk  <mailto:michalk at awpi.com> <michalk at awpi.com>
To: velocity_pilot  <mailto:velocity_pilot at verizon.net>
<velocity_pilot at verizon.net>; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.

Seriously.  Makes me sick.

Seriously again.  How does one do this?  If you fly, it's going to get oil
mist everywhere.  I just don't see how this is possible.

On 10/18/2013 11:33 AM, Alex Balic wrote:

Looks like you could eat off of that motor, remind me never to take my cowl
off around Mel

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Mel Bina
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:44 PM
To: jeff findarle; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.

 

<mime-attachment.jpg><mime-attachment.jpg>Here are some photos of my NACA
system.  Very little work to do on the fuselage.  It worked well in Tucson.
Also, the engine is more open.

 

Mel Bina

STD RG  N14B  (sold)

 

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM, jeff findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com>
wrote:

I tend to live the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the "KISS" method
of life. I wonder if there will be rain water in the engine compartment? It
does look cool though. I am with you on the Fiberglass work too. I did not
build mine either. Maybe I am skeptical about changing and cutting into my
fuselage and firewall of a perfectly flying machine.  But I don't think you
will see much of a speed improvement either. Just my thoughts.
If you do the change, please keep us informed on progress and challenges,
etc..
Good luck,
Jeff

 

 

TEAM JEFF,
Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel
Realtor                     Realtor

AllStar Realty
575 N main St.
Heber City, UT. 84032

Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514
Darin's Cell 435-671-3957
Off. 435-654-9440
Fax 435-654-9437

Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!
Don't Lose it, Sell it!

 

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 9:15 AM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:

I have armpit scoops, and attached the scoops to the fuselage, instead of
the cowl.  Removing the bottom cowl is not a problem if one does it that
way.

I am having cooling problems though, and if I can't solve them, overhead
cooling is one of the options still on the table for me.


On 10/12/2013 11:14 PM, Andrew Judge wrote:

Easier to work on though. I always had issues taking off the bottom cowling
before the NACA upgrade. 

 

 


Andrew Judge

President

Grove Networks Inc

<mime-attachment.png>

 <http://www.grovenetworks.com/> www.grovenetworks.com -Check out our new
website!
advantageIT <http://www.grovenetworks.com/managed-it-services/>  |
hospitalityIT <http://www.grovenetworks.com/hotel-it-consulting/>  |
enterpriseIT <http://www.grovenetworks.com/datacenter-consulting/> 
Phone Systems <http://www.grovenetworks.com/business-phone-systems/>  |
Hosting <http://www.grovenetworks.com/server-hosting/>  | Online Backup
<http://www.grovenetworks.com/online-backup/>  | WiFi Systems
<http://www.grovenetworks.com/wifi-systems-consulting/>  | IT Security
<http://www.grovenetworks.com/it-security-consulting/>  


 
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grove-Networks-Inc/153225014792273?v=app_1401
60812795563> <mime-attachment.png>

 - Check out this awesome Facebook landing page - ask us about it!

Please email any requests for support to  support at grovenetworks.com or call
us at 305-448 6126 for immediate assistance 

 

On Oct 12, 2013, at 9:13 PM, "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

I agree with Scott B. I have done one NACA conversion, its not a one day 
or one week job. There is also a plenum to build and fit, exterior 
paint, the inevitable cooling issues to solve.

If you don't have a heat problem, don't fix what aint broke.

Scott D

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.
From: Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com <mailto:scottb33333 at gmail.com%3E> >
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org
<mailto:reflector at tvbf.org%3E> >
Date: 10/12/2013 02:54 PM

> Jim, if cooling is not an issue - suggest leaving well enough alone. I
have done several roof top NACA scoop conversions that require several days
of labor and re-upholstery operations. It's not worth the effort if cooling
is not an issue.
>
> Scott Baker
>
> On Oct 12, 2013, at 3:26 PM, "Jim & Sharon Beck" <jsbeck618 at gmail.com
<mailto:jsbeck618 at gmail.com%3E> > wrote:
>
>> My 173 RG with io360 lycoming has the armpit scoops. no cooling problems
but am considering changing to the NACAs I did not build the aircraft so am
challenged by glass work. but can find good help on this. Does anyone have
experience on this type of project? Drag reduction? other advantages? I have
flown 450 ? hours and have no cooling issues except have to watch oil on
long hot climbs. Is a kit available? Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>> N29RP
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

-- 
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 





_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html






_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131021/de62f403/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list