REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 18 11:58:43 CDT 2013


The engines I build don't leak :) 
But they are not ancient technology either!


Kurt 



-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: velocity_pilot <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.


          
    
Seriously.  Makes me sick.
      
      Seriously again.  How does one do this?  If you fly, it's going to      get oil mist everywhere.  I just don't see how this is possible.
      
      On 10/18/2013 11:33 AM, Alex Balic wrote:
    
    
                              
        
Looks            like you could eat off of that motor, remind me never to            take my cowl off around Mel
        
 
        
          
From:              reflector-bounces at tvbf.org              [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Mel              Bina
              Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:44 PM
              To: jeff findarle; Velocity Aircraft Owners and              Builders list
              Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA conversion.
        
        
 
        
          
            
Here are some photos              of my NACA system.  Very little work to do on the              fuselage.  It worked well in Tucson. Also, the engine is              more open.
          
          
            
 
          
          
            
Mel Bina
          
          
            
STD RG  N14B  (sold)
          
        
        
          
 
          
            
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM, jeff              findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com>              wrote:
            
              
                
I                    tend to live the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"                    and the "KISS" method of life. I wonder if there                    will be rain water in the engine compartment? It                    does look cool though. I am with you on the                    Fiberglass work too. I did not build mine either.                    Maybe I am skeptical about changing and cutting into                    my fuselage and firewall of a perfectly flying                    machine.  But I don't think you will see much of a                    speed improvement either. Just my thoughts.
                    If you do the change, please keep us informed on                    progress and challenges, etc..
                    Good luck,
                    Jeff
                
                  
 
                
                
                  
 
                
                
                  
TEAM                        JEFF,
                        Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel
                        Realtor                     Realtor
                        
                        AllStar Realty
                        575 N main St.
                        Heber City, UT. 84032
                        
                        Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514
                        Darin's Cell 435-671-3957
                        Off. 435-654-9440
                        Fax 435-654-9437
                        
                        Distressed                          Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!
                          Don't Lose it, Sell it!
                
                
                  
 
                  
                    
                      
                        
On                            Sunday, October 13, 2013 9:15 AM, Brian                            Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>                            wrote:
                      
                      
                        
                          
                            
                              
                                
I                                    have armpit scoops, and attached the                                    scoops to the fuselage, instead of                                    the cowl.  Removing the bottom cowl                                    is not a problem if one does it that                                    way.
                                    
                                    I am having cooling problems though,                                    and if I can't solve them, overhead                                    cooling is one of the options still                                    on the table for me.
                                
                                  

                                      On 10/12/2013 11:14 PM, Andrew                                      Judge wrote:
                                
                              
                            
                            
                              
                                
                                  
Easier                                      to work on though. I always had                                      issues taking off the bottom                                      cowling before the NACA upgrade. 
                                
                                
                                  
 
                                
                                
                                  
 
                                
                                
                                  
                                    
                                      
                                        
                                          
Andrew                                                Judge
                                        
                                        
                                          
President
                                        
                                        
                                          
Grove                                              Networks Inc
                                        
                                      
                                      
                                        
                                          
                                        
                                      
                                    
                                  
                                
                                
www.grovenetworks.com -Check                                      out our new website!
                                  advantageIT |                                  hospitalityIT                                    | enterpriseIT
                                  Phone Systems                                    | Hosting | Online Backup                                    | WiFi Systems |                                  IT                                        Security 
                                
                                  
                                    
                                      
                                        
                                          
                                        
                                      
                                      
                                        
                                          
 -                                              Check out this awesome                                              Facebook landing page -                                                ask us about it!
                                        
                                      
                                    
                                  
                                
                                
Please                                      email any requests for support to                                     support at grovenetworks.com                                      or call us at 305-448 6126 for                                      immediate assistance 
                                
                                  
 
                                
                                
                                  
On                                      Oct 12, 2013, at 9:13 PM, "Scott                                      Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>                                      wrote:
                                
                                
                                  
                                    
I agree                                        with Scott B. I have done one                                        NACA conversion, its not a one                                        day 
                                        or one week job. There is also a                                        plenum to build and fit,                                        exterior 
                                        paint, the inevitable cooling                                        issues to solve.
                                        
                                        If you don't have a heat                                        problem, don't fix what aint                                        broke.
                                        
                                        Scott D
                                        
                                        -------- Original Message                                        --------
                                        Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA                                        conversion.
                                        From: Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com>
                                        To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and                                        Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
                                        Date: 10/12/2013 02:54 PM
                                        
                                        > Jim, if cooling is not an                                        issue - suggest leaving well                                        enough alone. I have done                                        several roof top NACA scoop                                        conversions that require several                                        days of labor and re-upholstery                                        operations. It's not worth the                                        effort if cooling is not an                                        issue.
                                        >
                                        > Scott Baker
                                        >
                                        > On Oct 12, 2013, at 3:26                                        PM, "Jim & Sharon Beck" <jsbeck618 at gmail.com>                                        wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> My 173 RG with io360                                        lycoming has the armpit scoops.                                        no cooling problems but am                                        considering changing to the                                        NACAs I did not build the                                        aircraft so am challenged by                                        glass work. but can find good                                        help on this. Does anyone have                                        experience on this type of                                        project? Drag reduction? other                                        advantages? I have flown 450 ?                                        hours and have no cooling issues                                        except have to watch oil on long                                        hot climbs. Is a kit available?                                        Any input would be appreciated.
                                        >>
                                        >> Thanks,
                                        >> Jim
                                        >> N29RP
                                        >>                                        _______________________________________________
                                        >> To change your email                                        address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                                        >>
                                        >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
                                        >> user:pw =                                        tvbf:jamaicangoose
                                        >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                                        >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                                        >
                                        >                                        _______________________________________________
                                        > To change your email                                        address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                                        >
                                        > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
                                        > user:pw =                                        tvbf:jamaicangoose
                                        > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                                        > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                                        >
                                        
                                        -- 
                                        No one can make you feel                                        inferior without your consent.
                                        Eleanor Roosevelt
_______________________________________________
                                        To change your email address,                                        visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                                        
                                        Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
                                        user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
                                        Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                                        Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                                        
                                        
                                    
_______________________________________________
                                    
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                                    
 
                                    
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
                                    
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
                                    
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                                    
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                                  
                                
                                
 
                              
                            
                          
                          
 
                          
                            
_______________________________________________
                                To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
                                
                                Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
                                user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
                                Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
                                Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
                          
                          
 
                        
                      
                    
                  
                
              
            
            

              _______________________________________________
              To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
              
              Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
              user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
              Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
              Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
          
          
 
        
      
      
      
      
      
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    
    
  

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131018/585081c0/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 25206 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131018/585081c0/attachment-0002.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 50972 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131018/585081c0/attachment-0003.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 10192 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131018/585081c0/attachment-0002.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 5674 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131018/585081c0/attachment-0003.png>


More information about the Reflector mailing list