REFLECTOR: N5165U Flies Again!

jerry at jlbent.com jerry at jlbent.com
Sat Nov 23 11:55:55 CST 2013


Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I think that is the best first flight video ever.
 Thanks so much Brett.


Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com


   	-------Original Message-------
From: Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Cc: jerry at jlbent.com, Linda Brainard <lbrainard.eaa at jlbent.com>, Elizabeth
Ferrell <eferrell at fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: N5165U Flies Again!
Sent: Nov 23 '13 7:54am


Second "First Flight" video....

[LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqK_MCIv3Y]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqK_MCIv3Y


--
Brett Ferrell

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013, at 10:53 AM, [LINK: mailto:jerry at jlbent.com]
jerry at jlbent.com wrote:
As some of you know, Linda and I bought Hugh Dunn's 1996 Velocity last
fall.  N5165U is a short wing, top loader, RG, LIO360, cruise prop and very
low time (80 hrs TTAF).  Hugh built it and flew it for two years and then
it didn't fly for 14 years.

Last Saturday, we were able to get all the stars to align (just barely).
John Abarham flew in (commercial), the weather got just good enough,
insurance was in place and John was able to take N5165U back into the air
about 4:00 P.M.  Hugh was there and he was so proud and happy to see his
creation fly again.  John tested for a while and then made a beautiful
landing.  We talked a bit and then Brett reminded me that the sun would be
setting in about 45 minutes, so John and I launched for I68.  Short flight,
and I must say, I love the way 65U handles.  Of course after flying the
Ferrell's N44VF, I have to admit that with the cruise prop, 65U doesn't
leap off the ground like 44VF.   I made two landings and one was great and
one was OK.  With the short wing, 65U is very responsive at landing speeds.
 It requires less rudder and has more aileron a! uthority. NICE!


A huge thanks to Linda my lovely bride and build buddy.  Linda took copious
field notes as we worked on all of the pieces so we could put them back
together correctly.  She kept to-do lists.  She pushed to get things done
when I was burned out.  She crawled upside down under the panel to work on
things.  She even encouraged the purchase, knowing that it would take work
and dollars to get 65U back into the air.


A special thanks to Ray Parker, Hugh Dunn, Brett and Elizabeth Ferrell,
Reiff and Melissa Lorenz, Tim and Larabeth Rodenbaugh, Bill and Terry
Stockman, Andy and Teresa Millin who all helped and support us.

And thanks to all of the Velocity community especially those on the
reflector.  I know everyone says it, but it is true, this community keep
many of us going

So we finally have our new baby home to our hangar.  It will be a FRG
(fixed, retractable gear) until insurance gets more reasonable for the RG.
Work will continue on N202VB and we will have something to fly at the same
time.  Seems like the best of both worlds.

.

Jerry Brainard
Jerry at JLBEnt.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: [LINK:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131123/b0aeca9b/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list