REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp and flow data
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Thu Nov 14 20:28:27 CST 2013
On the data I sent out, right after engine start, the engine surged to
1500RPM. The oil pressure coming out of the engine was 117PSI, the oil
pressure returning to the engine was 98PSI. It wasn't that cold. 70F.
I am measuring the galley pressure where PZL says to measure it, which
is off the port on the bypass plate. I measure the pump pressure right
at the oil cooler, which is after about three feet of -10 stainless
braided hose.
I am logging 46 unique channels on the airplane. I am logging more
parameters than that, but don't count them, like I count fuel counts and
fuel flow as one unique signal.
The more I think about this, the more I am suspecting the oil filter. I
am using the K&N HP-3002, and in looking back at my manual, I had
selected the HP-2002. They are both 550PSI burst pressure, but the 3002
has a PSI relief valve, bypass valve and anti-drain back valve. The
2002 has none of those. I probably picked up the 3002 because they
didn't have any 2002's on the shelf.
On 11/14/2013 06:54 PM, John Dibble wrote:
> On 11/14/2013 1:29 PM, Laurence Coen wrote:
>> Brian,
>> There are two valves in the "bypass plate" and they perform
>> independent functions. The pressure regulator valve sets the oil
>> pump pressure at 80PSI. That is the maximum pressure that can exists
>> anywhere in the system and is also the maximum pressure that the oil
>> cooler can see.
> Well, with the 80 psig spring in the cooler bypass location, at start
> up on cold days I would see 99 psig at the cooler outlet (99 is the
> max reading for my RMI monitor, so it could have been higher). Seems
> like the pressure going to the cooler would have been higher yet.
>
> John
>
>> Please note that this has nothing to do with the external loop
>> bypass valve. Your data would indicate that your statement that no
>> oil flowed for nine minutes is incorrect. I don't how you are
>> measuring oil flow or where but the fact that there is a differential
>> pressure at the output of the oil cooler and the galley is only
>> possible if there is flow through the cooler. In a hydrostatic
>> system (no flow) where two points are connected the pressure will be
>> the same. Your graph shows a differential pressure at opposite ends
>> of a tube connecting the oil cooler and the oil galley. This
>> indicates oil flow through the cooler from start up to shut down.
>> Functionally, the Franklin set up works the same as the pressure
>> regulator/"Vernatherm" in a Lycoming. In a Lycoming, when the oil is
>> cold, The Vernatherm opens a bypass on the oil cooler loop. When the
>> oil gets hot the Vernatherm closes the bypass forcing the oil to flow
>> through the oil cooler. On the Franklin the fact that cold oil is
>> thick when cold causes a large drop in pressure through the external
>> loop. This in turn opens the bypass just like the Vernatherm on the
>> Lycoming. When the oil is hot, the pressure drop in the external loop
>> decreases allowing the bypass to close, just like the Vernatherm did
>> in the Lycoming. In both cases the pressure regulator simply sets
>> the output pressure of the oil pump.
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131114/b7ce6414/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list