REFLECTOR: Ignition Timing

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue May 21 19:32:48 CDT 2013


Well, I think I'm on to something here.  A while back  I mentioned that 
I was experimenting with reducing the timing on my Franklin engine.  I 
now have it set at 24 degrees BTDC, which is 4 degrees less than 
standard.  Yesterday I flew from MS to NY at 11.5 k feet.  The engine 
ran very smooth, much smoother than in the past several years.  My #3 
cylinder which had been running 30 F higher than the others is now in 
line with the rest.  Best of all, I gained 6 kn in airspeed.  One thing 
I was hoping for that didn't happen is elimination of the oil streak on 
the cowl from the breather tube.  I plan to reduce the timing further 
and see if the oil streak goes away.

John


More information about the Reflector mailing list