REFLECTOR: Need for speed
Richard J. Gentil
richard at naples-air-center.com
Tue May 21 07:04:37 CDT 2013
Hi Geoff,
I would think there are much better options out there for going faster. EI lets you fly high and save greatly on fuel. That with a combination of streamlining and exhaust mods seems like the best option.
To get any benefit out of a turbo or super charger you are going to looking at carrying oxygen all the time and burning extra fuel.
The next question I have is what do you figure is going to be the distance of your average hop?
Will you be able to get to altitude and be there long enough to see any benefit in speed?
Richard
Sent from my iPhone 5
On May 21, 2013, at 7:46 AM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Ok, in my pursuit for more speed, I have narrowed down on two mods. Definitely will be changing my exhaust - I'm working with Clinton at Custom Aircraft on this. He is quoting some pretty big numbers (+18HP) for switching from the standard Velo exhaust (2x2-1) where each cylinder is battling the other to a 4-4, we'll see. I am looking forward to better cooling as I won't be adding pressure to the lower cowl with the exhaust hole cutouts (pretty big on mine), and exhausting out the cowl will create a lower cowl pressure to draw cooling air out.
>
> Now, for the big speed increase, turbo or supercharging (normalization). I'm exploring a couple options there. There's a guy close by who has a complete RaJay turbo normalization system for an IO-360 off a Mooney. Its been rebuilt. He says its a very simple system, manual wastegate. I still haven't got a price from him, tho, and I expect it will be $20K+, tho. The other option is supercharging. I talked to the guy from Forced Aeromotive yesterday. Their system sounds pretty bulletproof and simple and provides 8000' of TN. That is, at 8000', you still have 30", flying at 10,000' would be like flying at 2000' without it - you get the idea. It has no wastegate, the manifold pressure has a redline of 30" that you're not supposed to exceed, so at a low elevation field, you would not take off with full throttle, just advance it to 30". As you climb, just keep nudging it up to maintain 30". It is a nice, simple install and costs ~$10K. Apparently, you can climb like a bastard with it, and can expect >15kts increase at cruise. I'm leaning more towards it than the turbo. The one big advantage to the supercharger is that it has a pretty cool air charge (unlike the turbo that, even with an intercooler, the air produced is hot).
>
> Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with turbo/supercharging an IO-360?
>
> Geoff
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130521/df60df84/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list