REFLECTOR: Performance

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 21:21:22 CDT 2013


Jon...

Your sense of humor is undeniable.....

Steve 

From: jonathan.bachman at mtsi-va.com
To: bjb3013 at yahoo.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 21:08:44 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Performance








WOW, 17 gal per min.  You must have big tanks:)
 


From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Brent Bourgeois [bjb3013 at yahoo.com]

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:50 PM

To: geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Performance







Geoff,
 

Flying 17 years 

Std RG IFR ,IO360 200hp, 1 pmag, 3 blade Catto 2300 static rpm, ram air and armpit scoops


 
Max Speed: 2900 rpm, 1000ft, 150 deg ROP 17+ gpm, 218mph verified many times flying a 4 sided box with gps avg.
 

Cruise: 2600rpm 10,000ft, 50 deg LOP, 7.9 gpm, 198mph, flying a 4 sided box with gps avg.
 

Usually fly locally just for enjoyment: 5 gpm, LOP 135 kts





Brent 

N61VB (check 
http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN61VB&timerange=21600&tail=3600 for tracking)

New Orleans La

985-785-8299








From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>

To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>


Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:38 AM

Subject: REFLECTOR: Performance




Folks,



I'm getting pretty consistent performance out of my 173RG over the last 8-9 months since initial flight testing.  My question to you guys is, are the performance numbers I'm seeing typical, or should I be seeing better performance?  Normally, on a cross
 country, I'll fly b/w ~8-12,000', ~60deg LOP which typically has me going 150kias at 8-8.5gph.  Full power, 160kias is about my max speed.  



I have a fixed-pitch Catto prop (66x74, design target 200mph @ 2800RPM).  When I'm doing 160kts, my prop is spinning at ~2800RPM.  That tells me that I have the power to spin the prop, but may have air frame drag that's keeping me from seeing the 200mph
 predicted by Catto at 2800RPM.



I have a standard 200hp, Lyc IO-360, Lightspeed EI on one side, Mag on the other.  Timing as per spec for both EI and Mag.  About 90hrs on the engine (rebuilt).  Compression/oil consumption is normal.  Very stable performance from the engine.



My plane is fully finished and pretty tight.  Main/nose gear doors are not hanging out and are reasonably well tucked in when the gear is raised.  Main wing angles of incidence are spot on, no rudder trimming was necessary to center the ball - she flies
 nice and straight.



The factory predicts I should be able to cruise at 175kias - that's just not possible with my current setup.  Can others with Std Velocities relate the performance you are seeing?  Is this as good as it gets, or does anyone have suggestions for things
 to check to see if I can eek out a bit more speed?



Thanks.


Geoff






_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector



Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: 
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html












_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130509/382a6774/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list