REFLECTOR: Awlgrip

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed May 8 13:53:06 CDT 2013


Its been a long time Ron! :-)

I think I used two gallons of topcoat base and whatever converter and 
reducer was required. I think its 1 to 1 base - converter but I may be 
wrong. The web site has a down loadable spec sheet which gives the 
mixing percentages.  Reducer depends on temp, and what your gun requires.

I had to repaint the canard and one wing which threw off my calculated 
paint requirements, though I didn't have to buy any more base and I 
still have about a quart left over.

I did 3 coats, separated by an hour of drying time.  I should have 
waited a couple of hours, I wouldn't have had as many runs.

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Awlgrip
From: Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 05/08/2013 12:32 PM

> How many gallons of top coat. According to there web site the coverage
> is more than most . Almost double
> 545sqft per gallon
>
> Ron
> On 5/8/2013 12:12 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:
>> I used the 545 primer and what they now call the Awlgrip Topcoat. Yes,
>> a linear 2 part polyurethane.
>>
>> I don't think it can properly be called an enamel, aren't enamels oil
>> based?.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Awlgrip
>> From: Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Date: 05/08/2013 10:27 AM
>>
>>> Is the Awl grip High build primer the one you used ?
>>> For your top coat did you use 2 part Linear Polyurethane Enamel
>>>
>>> On 5/8/2013 9:40 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:
>>>> I did.
>>>>
>>>> the paint looks great.  Good coverage.   I'm not a painter and had
>>>> some runs. Which are hard to fix in Awlgrip because there is no top
>>>> coat.
>>>>
>>>> The primer is a dream to sand.  Best I've ever used.
>>>>
>>>> Its tough as nails, I've had some rash incidents and it usually wins.
>>>>
>>>> I used a respirator(filters).
>>>>
>>>> Scott
>>>>
>>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Awlgrip
>>>> From: Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
>>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> Date: 05/08/2013 07:48 AM
>>>>
>>>>> Any one use  Awl grip to paint there plane ?
>>>>>
>>>>> GOOD
>>>>> BAD
>>>>> Benefits
>>>>> Down sides
>>>>> Fresh air suit required??
>>>>>
>>>>> Ron
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives:
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

-- 
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
Albert Einstein


More information about the Reflector mailing list