REFLECTOR: Thrustline change

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Sun Mar 31 21:36:28 CDT 2013


Thanks for all the feedback.  Based on it, I am going to make two changes:
1. change the thrust line.  I will start with about a 1/4 inch and see what
I learn.  I will report back.
2. Raise the nose about an inch.  Right now when I takeoff with just me on
board and about 1" of elevator down trim , I get to about70kts and still
have to pull back, then pop off the runway.  The pop is dramatic enough that
I warn passengers before the TO roll. I can change the setting on the nose
wheel (Fixed gear) with a spacer behind the rubber block  (the new verison
of rubber).  Not easy to get to, but changeable.  It will be interesting to
see if this also affects shimmy.  I don't have much now, but this will
change the castor angle.

I expect these two changes to shorten my take off roll.  Stay tuned.

ON another topic.  I wrote a few weeks ago that I was throwing a lot of oil
out the breather.  I took the advice of some and ran the engine for a couple
of hours wide open.  Believe it or not, it worked!!!  My prop and belly are
no longer oil coated when I land.  There is a little, but an order less than
there was.  I have had two flights now with minimal oil loss.  Amazing!!!

David Ullman
N444DX
President EAA 292
541-760-2338
david at davidullman.com


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:00 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 96, Issue 114

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Thrustline change (dennis.doc)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:58:08 -0600
From: "dennis.doc" <dennis.doc at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Thrustline change
Message-ID:
	<CAG8_WT8Mmfj2nwbn7HY35LRG7q7Kdatc1KjRwUq_uoX76VYezw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I added over one inch of shim to my engine mount. I called Scott Swing to
make sure it would be OK. He told me "no problem." He and a local friend
said there are advantages in take off and landing (more downward thrust)
and that I could change it later if it  proved ineffective. I'm still
flying off the 40 hours, but in the 10+ hours I've flown, no perceivable
problems. I do notice that in cruise, while trimming the elevator 100% down
- the trailing edge remains virtually neutral.

Dennis Martin


On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM, David Ullman
<ullman at robustdecisions.com>wrote:

> When I cruise with only me in the SEFG I have to put in 1/2 inch of down
> trim (elevator up) or more.  This is clearly inefficient.  I already have
> 18lb of lead in the nose and don't want to add more.  A friend suggested
> shimming the top of the engine mount for a little downward pitch moment.
I
> sort of like the idea but am worried that it might increase my take off
> distance as it will drive the canard downward a little.  He thinks it may
> help as the engine thrust line is slight more upward.
>
> Any thoughts or experiences?
>
>
> David Ullman
> N444DX
> President EAA 292
> 541-760-2338
> david at davidullman.com
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130331/c349ae30
/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 96, Issue 114
******************************************



More information about the Reflector mailing list