REFLECTOR: XLFG Intake Air
Rene Dugas
renedugas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 09:11:12 CDT 2013
Think small. I calculated the air volume at 2300 rpm throughput. Then calculated the volume of air rammed into a selected area on the front of the scoop at a given air speed then enlarged that frontal area a little. The scoop needs to immediately enlarge to tear drop shape like wheel fairings. Inside the large pressurized air box I place a large K&N low resistance filter and a side bypass with a spring. The diameter of my inlet is only about 3 inches and is set off the boundary layer I hope. I get about 1 inch increased MP at 8000 msl. Some of the pictures I sent show my oil air flow lines.
Best. YMMV.
Sent from Rene's iPad. A pleasure. Go Apple.
On Mar 21, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rene, Et al,
> Thanks for the input. I live in Central Texas in a now 3 year drought. Lot's of silica airborne methinks...
> I will try and keep my filtered ram-air and determine how difficult to switch to a 'P51' style scoop. I have a buddy who built a Cozy 3 Lindbergh award winner that has a NACA on the belly for cooling where he picks up filtered ram air. I just wonder the specific difference at say 10,000 FT MSL the MP difference between similar sized (inlet size) NACA scoops vs P51?
>
> Thanks
> Mark
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM, David Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think a filter is good. Like Scott I don't like even the thought of sand/dust in and machinery much less something that can kill me. When I clean my K&n filter I never see much detritus but I know it's there. My 2 cents. My engine is too expensive to dust. 😎
>>
>> Rene' Dugas
>> Sent from an Apple.
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:12 PM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > All,
>> > My XLFG was built with a NACA scoop where the bottom engine cowl marries to the fuselage for ram intake air. As I am nearing painting, and did not build this into the bird, the PO did, I'm considering eliminating the filtered lower NACA ram-air configuration for scat tubing to a cooling air NACA scoop topside for simplicity. As well the NACA down low where it is does catch considerable FOD from the nosewheel, yet is filtered.
>> > I know some folks are running straight unfiltered from a scat tubing routing from an upper engine cooling NACA with no alternate air. Any feedback from the group on how well this is working? If I were to make this change I fear I might lose a slight loss of manifold pressure, but for the simplicity would be better off overall. The sealing on the airbox to the lower cowl is problematic.
>> > Thanks in advance for the feedback.
>> > Mark Magee N34XL XLFG
>> >
>> > <N34XL Lower NACA intake.JPG>
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130322/5986fa4a/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list