REFLECTOR: GPS IFR Approaches: Radio Required

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 08:55:58 CDT 2013


The big difference between enroute and approach certified GPS is the
presence of RAIM. That is the verification of signal/accuracy which
monitors and alerts you on approach if GPS falls off.

Most of the MFD's/PFD's we are using in Experimental Aircraft
(GRT/Dynon/etc.) will synthesize a visual representation of the approach,
which is great for situational awareness and a real step up in safety
(IMHO) for IFR approaches, the problem is, Garbage in/Garbage out. If the
GPS accuracy/reception is degraded, you might not know in time.

As Scott says "I think it's reckless to shoot an IFR approach under IMC
conditions without an IFR approved 'box'."

Larry

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
> I have a Helm 950 MFD that I replaced my old MX20 with in my center stack.
> It has onboard HITS approaches and even missed approaches. A WAAS enabled,
> Precision GPS such as the 430W and others mentioned on this thread will
> drive this MFD, using the MFD as your old VOR GLIDESLOPE indicator with the
> HITS boxes to fly through on approach and even enroute if you want them. I
> use the Flight Cheetah software which is very good. Sooooo..... if I have a
> decent GPS signal, I have a Garmin SL60 NAVCOMM that drove the deleted
> MX20, which is certified enroute: the grey area starts using the
> non-certified approach data from the MFD software or EFIS vs the approaches
> in the certified IFR Precison GPS box. True Flight systems come with WAAS
> enabled GPS's and antennas.
> Starts to get fairly confusing, particularly how far behind the power
> curve the FAA is on figuring out what they will allow, certified and
> experimental etc.
> Please keep the opinions coming. Thanks to all who've chimed in so far.
> Mark
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  I agree with Larry that the CNX80/GNS480 is a great IFR WAAS unit and
>> it would be my choice too, if I were looking to buy a used unit.
>> That being said the GNS430(W) and GNS530(W) are also very good units -
>> and thousands of pilots are routinely flying IFR with these radios.
>> I would NOT invest in the much outdated and difficult to operate KLN90.
>> You will not be happy.  The map features of the 430/530/480 type radios
>> greatly helps the pilot maintain situational awareness - which as you know
>> is a big item when operating IFR.
>> Whatever the radio that you choose to invest, I strongly recommend you
>> supplement it with an iPad with one of the better moving maps software
>> programs.  I happen to like Foreflight.  Geo-referenced positioning is now
>> available on depicted approach plates.  Very cool and very reassuring to
>> know that you are where you think you are!
>>
>> I think it's reckless to shoot an IFR approach under IMC conditions
>> without an IFR approved 'box'.  The NTSB files are full of stories.
>>
>> My thoughts.
>> Scott B.
>>
>>
>>
>> On 3/22/2013 6:29 AM, Lawrence Epstein wrote:
>>
>> If you want to fly IFR regularly, I would not get the 430/530w series.
>> That is really a VFR box that can do IFR. Biggest problem with that is when
>> you want to fly airways. With that series, (I believe same with the King),
>> you must manually enter every waypoint on the Airway. Bad enough when you
>> are on the ground copying a clearance. Impossible when picking up a
>> clearance in the air.
>>
>>  I have been flying behind a Garmin GNS 480 (UPS CNX80) for ~10 years.
>> Great IFR box. You can pick one up on Ebay for about $5k now.
>>
>>  Larry
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Any radiomen out there could please help me determine if I could do most
>>> of what I want with an MFD with Syn Vision, HITS, approaches installed in
>>> the software: I understand the Garmin 430W will get you down legally at any
>>> terminal with a published GPS Precision Approach. Those units are still
>>> holding their value quite well, but what of this King:
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/BendixKing-KLN90B-IFR-Approach-Approved-GPS-System-/330889767931
>>>
>>>
>>>  Without the Precision Approach cert, what would be my limitation?
>>> Practically, functionally?
>>> My IFR ticket is long out of date and I will have to get back up to
>>> snuff on flying them. I'm asking about shooting approaches is this current
>>> 'Grey Area' where folks are functionally doing a lot of IFR approaches
>>> -without- IFR Approach certified radios driving their installed MFD's.
>>>
>>>  Opinions please. I do understand the regs, just probing for reality.
>>>
>>>  Thanks
>>>
>>>  Mark B. Magee
>>> N34XL XLFG
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130322/f2c1d1fd/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list