REFLECTOR: fixed gear nose wheel
Andrew Judge
ajudge at grovenetworks.com
Sun Mar 17 11:41:17 CDT 2013
I have an SEFG and had shimmy one time in about 600 hours. That was with
the first landing on my 2nd nose wheel pant. Enough to shake it loose and
never use that wheel pant again. Third pair was a charm. I've had shimmy
one time - due to that wheel pant and the factory made the third pair.
I think my 1st answer answers the 2nd question. It is unnecessary if the
pant is rightŠ
On 3/17/13 9:05 AM, "David Ullman" <ullman at robustdecisions.com> wrote:
>I have an SEFG and don't have much of a shimmy problem. Seems to come and
>go, and is never very bad. But, a bigger issue occurred last summer. I
>had
>the front faring on and I took off. The plane had a bad yaw that I had
>not
>experienced before. I checked and all the controls were working as they
>should. I figured that somehow the front wheel was cocked and acting as a
>front rudder. I landed and sure enough, when the front wheel touched
>down,
>I felt a jerk, like the wheel aligning. I taxied back to the hangar and
>found the back half of the front faring was missing. The jerk of the
>wheel
>aligning had whipped the fairing so hard that it literally tore off.
>This
>confirmed what happened in flight, I must have skipped to the side just
>as I
>lifted off and the friction was enough to hold the misalignment in place.
> I
>started a search of the airport area for the faring half when I guy pulled
>up in truck with a "is this yours?". It was on the runway, luckily he
>landed right after me, saw it depart my plane and was able to land around
>it
>and go back and pick it up.
>
>I want to put the front faring back on, but don't want to experience this
>again. I think my friction is about right as I can easily steer when
>taxiing
>and don't have much shimmy. First question: anybody else ever experience
>this? Second question: I am thinking of putting a rudder on the back half
>of the faring. This should give enough aero force aft of the pivot to
>make
>it weather vane should I knock it off center again. It may also add a
>little shimmy damping. I would have to beef the connection of the rear
>half
>to the wheel. It should look cool too. Has anyone tried this?
>
>David Ullman
>N444DX
>President EAA 292
>541-754-3609
>david at davidullman.com
>
>
>
Andrew Judge
President
Grove Networks Inc.
http://www.grovenetworks.com - Check out our new website!
We've got IT under control!
advantageIT | hospitalityIT | enterpriseIT
Phone Systems | Hosting | Online Backup | WiFi Systems | IT Security
Please email any requests for support to support at grovenetworks.com or call us now at 305-448-6126 for immediate assistance
_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list