REFLECTOR: Brake performance

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Mar 16 10:26:22 CDT 2013


I just looked up the Matco specifications for the WHLW600XTE
http://www.matcomfg.com/WHLBRKASSY600X6TRPLeXtraTorqueEnergy-idv-3801-4.html

I don't know how the number match dimensionally, but I assume a 6.00-6 
wheel has a six inch radius?

Assuming the wheel above, a 5/8 bore master cylinder and their specs of:
Static Capacity 	1860 LBS
Load Limit 	5580 LBS
Maximum Accelerate/Stop Kinetic Energy 	450500 ft-lb
Torque Rating (@450 PSI) 	6441 in-lb


For 450 PSI, I would need to press on the master cylinder a force of 
138lbf, which I am certainly capable of, and feel that I can generate 
this much force without too much effort.  There is perhaps a 3X 
mechanical advantage in the pedal arrangement.

Their torque rating, with the wheel above shows that it could provide 
1074lbf to a wheel weighted to approximately 750lbf. Horizontal force is 
higher than vertical force, indicating a friction number greater than 
1.0 is needed.

This tells me that with very little effort, one should be able to lock 
up the wheels while taxiing in their airplane.  I have the original 
brakes, the W600XT, which have identical torque performance, but 
different kinetic energy numbers.  I don't need higher energy, I want 
better torque.  I do not think I am getting the performance indicated in 
these specifications.  Is my math wrong?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130316/55bdda6f/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list