REFLECTOR: New Shimmy Damper Success?
David Rene Dugas
renedugas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:13:52 CDT 2013
600+ hrs flying for 10 years. Fluid dampener for about 30 hrs. No shimmy. Landing is different because it takes so little brake to turn that PIO is a problem first 10 landings. Easier to change direction but more brake use but lighter pressure. Very glad I have toe brakes. With friction I could tap the brakes and get it lined up for long distances. Now it is more like rudder control on a tricycle gear plane. Ones feet moves a lot but nothing like a tail wheel.
With all of that said, I like it. No shimmy.
Rene' Dugas
Sent from an Apple.
On Mar 15, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Dennis King <kitfox94 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I know the issue of nose wheel shimmy has been done to death in the past, but the factory has offered a new shimmy damper for awhile and I haven't seen any user reports on it. I know some people have had trouble with shimmy, even though they were trying to be careful about adjusting the friction nut. I don't think I've experienced shimmy yet, but I am still early in my test period. I'm interested in hearing about anybody's experience with the new damper design, especially people who had a lot of trouble with the old design. Switching from a dry friction design (coulomb damping) to viscous damping makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> Dennis King
> 173RG Elite N173DK
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130315/36961fb8/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list