REFLECTOR: Keep FAA Towers Running

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 13 11:00:27 CDT 2013


There is usually no risk of an airport closing due to loss of a tower. The AIP plan covers that, at least in the short term. It can have long term effects though. Such as losing air carrier traffic (even if only a couple flights a day). That tends to take leverage out of the equation in terms of further funding for repairs and upgrades.

That being said, the AIP (Airport Improvement Program) has tremendous inefficiencies and wastes built into it. As an example, we (our airpark) paid to re-pave our runway ourselves. Then I re-painted it. Total cost was right around $150K. It would have cost over 10 times that much if done under the regular system. So there is money to be saved, but the rules would have to change back somewhere near reality. 

Hmm, reminds me, I need to fire up the sweeper and go clean up the taxiways a little. Always Somethin' 

Kurt 
Mid Valley Airport E98





-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Mar 13, 2013 9:31 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Keep FAA Towers Running


I learned to fly out of a class C airport, and have flown into class B airports with no problem, so I'm not afraid of the procedures.  With that said, I wonder about the effectiveness of some towers, and I wouldn't have any qualms flying into KGTU when the tower closes.  Is your argument about safety, or is it about the possibility of closing the airport because there is no tower?

I'm not sure about the mechanics of the latter.  Is this a risk?  Is it a justification for closing an airport?

On 3/13/2013 10:06 AM, Ron N VelocityXLFG wrote:

Our Life is being attacked two towers in my area are being closed because of budget cuts by 
a person who can not be named. We need to fight to keep them because if they close they are not coming back. just as many airports are being closed to never return.





_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130313/38b88eed/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list