REFLECTOR: Franklin Cylinder Base Wrench

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Mar 12 12:45:20 CDT 2013


Those are the stud sizes, not the wrench size that you need for the nuts.

John

On 3/12/2013 10:38 AM, Hiroo Umeno wrote:
>
> John,
>
> The Franklin parts catalog I am looking at shows 3/8"-24 and 7/16"-20 
> for the nuts.  Perhaps they are different between American and PZL 
> Franklins.  Mine is PZL.  I would appreciate any tips and tricks you 
> might have.
>
> Hiroo
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *John Dibble
> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:29 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Cylinder Base Wrench
>
> You can get the wrenches (pricey) from Susan at Franklin Engine 
> Company.  Or you can buy a set of stubby wrenches and grind them down 
> a bit so they fit in the tight spots.  The special wrenches are needed 
> for setting the torque if you don't have a torque gauge built in your 
> arm like I do.  The Lycoming/Continental wrenches have a similar shape 
> and should work as well.  You need two sizes, 5/8 and 9/16.  Buy a set 
> of pal nuts from A/S in case some of the ones you remove don't tighten 
> well.  I have lots of other tips if you're interested.
>
> John
>
> On 3/11/2013 10:01 PM, Hiroo Umeno wrote:
>
>     I am hoping that in the next few months, I am going to be able to
>     start the slow process of bringing N21HV back into the air.  First
>     on the agenda is a detailed engine condition inspection,
>     reconditioning, cleaning.  I anticipate I am going to have to pull
>     the cylinders off to do this and recall reading this magical tool
>     that makes the job remarkably easier.
>
>     Now, doing the web searches, there are many vendors selling
>     "Lycoming / Continental cylinder base wrenches" but not Franklin. 
>     That make sense as the install base for the Ly/Con are far greater
>     than Franklin.
>
>     Now, the question is, is that just a naming thing? According to
>     Franklin manual, the base nuts are 7/16"-20.  Is that what Ly/Con use?
>
>     Thanks in Advance.
>
>     Hiroo
>
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>
>     To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>       
>
>     Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>     Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>
>     Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130312/54322bc3/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list