REFLECTOR: Thanks
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 11:18:35 CDT 2013
H2O injection should help considerably toward CHT I had calculated considerably more than a gallon of water to get an IO540 at WOT to cruise altitudes on a warmer day.
Mark B. Magee
N34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S
1COR 16:13-14
On Jun 22, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
> Water is an excellent octane booster, which is why some modern cars recirculate a small amount of exhaust back into the intake manifold.
> I've been wondering about installing water injection to aid with high power operation, as well as cooling on the ground. A one gallon tank would be good enough for maybe up to one hour of ground ops/high power ops. Depends on the operating regime.
>
> On 06/22/2013 10:25 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:
>> Not necessarily, depends on what is the replacement. Most of the replacements I've read about would work in any 100LL application like turbo charged TCM's, which absolutley require 100LL.
>>
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Thanks
>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Date: 06/22/2013 09:02 AM
>>> Don't forget about 100LL availability.
>>> I know, it's like trying to time the stock market, and the phase in will probably be tens of years away.
>>> If 100LL does go away, then you'll have to pull them again and go back to lower compression.
>>>
>>>
>>> On 06/21/2013 10:46 PM, Lou Stedman wrote:
>>>> Thanks for all who joined the conversation about the Ipad and which software for flight planning was best. I have taken the 30 day trial for Foreflight and we will see what happens.
>>>>
>>>> I have another subject I would like to bring up about engines. Yesterday, while going through my conditional inspection at my local AP shop, we found aluminum shavings in the oil filter. With that I elected to pull all four jugs to have a look. What we found was wear of one of the piston pins and some scoring of the barrel. One was very noticeable the other three were slight. Not wanting to take the chance of further damage, I have elected to take them into Penn Yan Aero for work. I dropped them off today and Penn Yan said that at least one of the pistons would need to be replaced but he thought the jugs would mill up OK. Now I have a decision to make. I have always wanted to put in high compression pistons to get that additional 20 HP, if that is true. I am told that the increased compression will not put any extra stress on the engine. What I don’t know is what other concerns I should have before making my decision. Would it have any effect on cooling? Do I need to use a different plug? Does the higher compression have any effect on starter? Any education from you engine guys would be appreciated. Thanks
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> --
>> While I see many hoof marks going in, I see none coming out. It is easier to get into the enemy's toils than out again.
>> Aesop
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130622/ede6e933/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list