REFLECTOR: ipad
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 21:12:38 CDT 2013
All,
If your on the ground, awaiting on a clearance and have a WIFI ONLY iPad, you can use your iPhone as a hotspot and surf to the web via your phone as a hotspot. I have an iPhone 4S and have had a 5G plan with the hotspot and have been using it often for nearly a year now. In my review of the options I think I'm cost effective in using this methodology vs activating an AT&T cellular card in my new iPad. I don't believe the lack of a built in GPS is so bad with all the Bluetooth GPS options.
I do have a question for the group: since an iPad without cellular radio doesn't have a built in GPS, why is mine (wifi only) asking me as I load new apps if I wish to activate LOCATION SERVICES???
How is this box determining where it is with no cell radio and no GPS???
School me please, maybe the NSA has some tools we don't know about (physical location of IP addresses)?
Mark B. Magee
N34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S
1COR 16:13-14
On Jun 17, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Our charter service uses FltPlan for every flight but ForeFlight in the cockpit. We have the charts but are writing up the application for FF alone with redundancy. We tried Garmin and I agree ok but FF is just easy and powerful. Route advisor will insert departures and arrivals into a direct plight plan on the fly. Huge help flying to different airport four days a week.
> Try it with a friend who knows it. Awesome.
> I download NEXRAD weather with cell data if WiFi is not available the press home and top off button to capture the weather screen before departure but do not have active weather in cockpit. A picture to refer to that shows precipitation and cloud cover with ceiling helps me a lot. I know where to go for VFR. I have the recent ceiling for all the airports in the area and the storms. TFRs if I want on a preflight pic. I have flown under 3000 ft and downloaded an update when flying under an overcast when you don't know what break is 10 miles ahead. Playing I downloaded approach plates in flight at 2000 ft at 140 kts. (I was VFR).
> I don't carry charts since I have iPad and iPhone both with FF. Use iPad every flight with Garmin 430W.
> My 2 cents.
>
> Sent from Rene's iPad. A pleasure. Go Apple.
>
>
> On Jun 17, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Paul <padslider at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Why spend money this is great just practice some routes and plans and you'll be hooked
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Jun 17, 2013, at 11:12 AM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> I just looked on the fltplan website. Do I need to download charts, etc specific to my route each time I fly? If so, that's different from other software where everything is downloaded.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> On 6/17/2013 8:43 AM, Paul Francois wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Try fltplan.com. it's free including charts moving map flight planning etc.
>>>>
>>>> Love it
>>>>
>>>> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130617/4045bdc7/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list