REFLECTOR: ipad
dennis.doc
dennis.doc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:03:26 CDT 2013
I've lost GPS signal more than once just flying locally - goes out for 3-4
minutes. A bit disconcerting. I always have a backup GPS system running
just in case.
Dennis Martin
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Rene Dugas <renedugas at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the Velo, never a problem. In aluminum and carbon planes a rare loss of
> GPS for a few moments. I also carry the external "BAD Elf" but almost never
> remember to plug it in since I don't need it.
>
> Sent from Rene's iPad. A pleasure. Go Apple.
>
>
> On Jun 17, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Dave T Nelson <dtnelson at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Slight twist on this topic -
>
> I'm a very happy Foreflight user... I use it on my ipad 1 and ipad 3
> versions... using only the internal GPS. I've never had an external GPS,
> and it seems to work fine (and yes, I do use it IFR). Am I the only person
> able to reliably use the internal GPS?
>
> It unlocks once in a great, great while... basically near enough to never
> that it's not an issue. And, since I don't use it as anything even close
> to my primary navigation reference (esp. for IFR), it's just never an issue
> when it does.
>
> What is your experience?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> Dave T. Nelson
> T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
> Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
>
>
> ----- Message from Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> on Mon, 17 Jun 2013
> 08:17:48 -0500 -----
> *To:*
> Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Subject:*
> Re: REFLECTOR: ipad
>
> I had Anywhere map years ago. It was okay but I didn't stick with it. Then
> again, this was before touch screens and the stylus approach was not a good
> entry tool in turbulence. I got an iPad right after they came out. Been
> running Foreflight ever since. Looked at the others but still like
> Foreflight.
>
> If you didn't get a wireless version and you want a moving map, *you'll
> need an external GPS*. I have the GNS5870 but there are others. The pro
> version of Foreflight has georeferenced approach plates. I got the GPS
> almost for free so I decided to get the pro version of Foreflight for a
> year to try it. I decided to keep the pro version. You can't have too much
> situational awareness, right? :-)
>
> For weather, I'm still using my 396 with XM. I prefer the resolution of
> the radar and the number of products of XM over the ADS weather.
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130617/cc7474b9/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list