REFLECTOR: ipad

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Jun 17 12:52:27 CDT 2013


Exactly.  So if you are an aviator and you are in the market to buy an 
iPad, do yourself a favor and buy an iPad with a cellular radio even if 
you never plan on purchasing a cellular data plan.  You will be happy 
that you did because you will have purchased an iPad with an integral 
GPS that will allow you to use it for navagation without having to mess 
around with an external GPS receiver.

I have used my iPad (with internal GPS receiver) for navigation in the V 
and it works perfectly.

Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD FG
N83DP

On 6/17/2013 11:43 AM, John Tvedte wrote:
>
> To try to be clear:
>
> An iPad that is Wi-Fi only does NOT have a GPS receiver built in -- 
> hence, it won't pick up GPS signals without an external GPS receiver.  
> In other words, to pick up GPS, it REQUIRES an external GPS receiver.
>
> An iPad that has a cellular radio -- also has a built in GPS receiver 
> -- hence it will pick up GPS signals using its internal receiver.  One 
> can also use an external GPS receiver, if one wants --
>
> John
>
> *From:*reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> *On Behalf Of *Mark Magee
> *Sent:* Monday, June 17, 2013 11:09 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Cc:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: ipad
>
> Dave,
>
> This is weird (data), I understand triangulation on cell towers, yet a 
> GPS radio does not have to have this to know where it is. As I 
> understood it, cell phones -without- a GPS radio can nonetheless know 
> where they are (eg. for a 911 call) via cell tower triangulation. In 
> other words a cell phone without a GPS can nonetheless serve as a 
> navigation interface for Google Maps and simars. I think a wireless 
> iPad without cell radio will navigate fine, I drove my V on my iPhone 
> with no cell signal on Navigation Pro from CA to Texas with no bars on 
> the cellular radio.
>
>
>
> Mark B. Magee
>
> N34XL
>
> Sent from IPhone 4S
>
> 1COR 16:13-14
>
>
> On Jun 17, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com 
> <mailto:velocity at davebiz.com>> wrote:
>
>     I use the internal GPS on mine and it works just fine.  As someone
>     mentioned earlier on this thread only the iPads with the cellular
>     radio have true GPS.  The wifi only iPads use wifi to interpolate
>     your position and obviously wouldn't work on an airplane.
>
>     Dave Philipsen
>
>     Velocity STD FG
>
>     N83DP
>
>     On 6/17/2013 9:03 AM, Dave T Nelson wrote:
>
>         Slight twist on this topic -
>
>         I'm a very happy Foreflight user... I use it on my ipad 1 and
>         ipad 3 versions... using only the internal GPS.  I've never
>         had an external GPS, and it seems to work fine (and yes, I do
>         use it IFR).  Am I the only person able to reliably use the
>         internal GPS?
>
>         It unlocks once in a great, great while... basically near
>         enough to never that it's not an issue.  And, since I don't
>         use it as anything even close to my primary navigation
>         reference (esp. for IFR), it's just never an issue when it does.
>
>         What is your experience?
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Dave
>
>         Dave T. Nelson
>         T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
>         Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
>
>
>         ----- Message from Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
>         <mailto:numa at comcast.net> on Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:17:48 -0500
>         -----
>
>         *To:*
>
>         	
>
>         Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>         <reflector at tvbf.org> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>         *Subject:*
>
>         	
>
>         Re: REFLECTOR: ipad
>
>         I had Anywhere map years ago. It was okay but I didn't stick
>         with it. Then again, this was before touch screens and the
>         stylus approach was not a good entry tool in
>         turbulence.  I got an iPad right after they came out. Been
>         running Foreflight ever since.  Looked at the others but still
>         like Foreflight.
>
>         If you didn't get a wireless version and you want a moving
>         map, *you'll need an external GPS*. I have the GNS5870 but
>         there are others. The pro version of Foreflight has
>         georeferenced approach plates. I got the GPS almost for free
>         so I decided to get the pro version of Foreflight for a year
>         to try it.  I decided to keep the pro version. You can't have
>         too much situational awareness, right?  :-)
>
>         For weather, I'm still using my 396 with XM. I prefer the
>         resolution of the radar and the number of products of XM over
>         the ADS weather.
>
>
>
>         _______________________________________________
>
>         To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>           
>
>         Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>
>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>         Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>
>         Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>
>     Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130617/54c41161/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list