REFLECTOR: Trip to Minneapolis

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Sun Jun 9 09:21:15 CDT 2013


You going to be seeing Albert Khasky? He's building in a hanger right next
to the Thunderbird FBO.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> I had a rather long trip out here from MA to Minneapolis.  I left KORH on
> Thursday morning, early, hoping to get ahead of a storm front that was
> tracking across my path.  Unfortunately, as I approached my first stop near
> Buffalo, the ceilings came down and thunderstorms were in the area.  I had
> to divert to Syracuse, hoping to find a break later in the day.  The break
> never came, and I ended up having to stay there for two nights.  Yesterday
> was frustrating as the weather West of KSYR was ok, but there was a mist
> locked over it that had the field IFR.  It went MVFR so I scrambled out to
> take off only to have the field go IFR again as I was at the runway waiting
> for a couple jets to land.  Back to the FBO to wait another four hours.
>  Finally, I decided to request an SVFR to get out, and just as I was
> talking to clearance delivery, the field went VFR!  Finally!  I had to fly
> low (1200') until about Buffalo, then ceilings gradually started to rise.
>  My first stop was on the sho!
>  re of Lake Michigan, KFFX, picked up fuel, and took off again for KMIC
> (Minneapolis).  I was able to get up to 10,000' to get over Lake Michigan,
> then ceilings slowly dropped into Minneapolis, but only down to about 4000'.
>
> All in all, aside from the weather delays it was a great flight.  The
> plane performed very well, cruised at 160tas most of the trip.  Only issue
> I had was that the doors leaked while it was on the ramp in pouring rain in
> Suracuse.  Carpet in the plane got wet, but got it in a hangar to dry out.
>
> Geoff
>
> Sent from my iPad
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130609/4a5aec83/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list