REFLECTOR: Prop dia

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 11:23:48 CDT 2013


Ron...

It would be helpful to tell us what rpm the prop is turning along with the engine rpm...


Steve 

> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 11:14:25 -0500
> From: velocityxl at fastmail.fm
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Prop dia
> 
> Motor is good   . I have been using my fixed pitch through the phase one 
> and it works very well.
>    I am turning my engine 5500 rpm to get a top speed of 180 knots So I 
> got the IVo propeller on ebay and want to give it a try. It is a little 
> long  76 diameter so I was thinking
> of cutting it down. I will fly with it first to see what it is like 
> before I cut it down.  Right now I like to cruise at 145 knots turning 
> 4200 rpm. My comfort rpm . My goal is to
> run the engine at 4200 and cruise 160 knots with the hope of not too 
> much loss in take off performance.
> 
> Ron
> 
> 
> On 6/6/2013 10:49 AM, John Dibble wrote:
> > I previously flew with 1" shorter blades (66" pitch) for more 
> > clearance.  I couldn't quite use full power and stay below 2600 rpm.  
> > So I went back to the 68" pitch recommended by IVO.  Now I can easily 
> > get down to 2500 rpm at full power.  I think it would go lower, but 
> > haven't checked.  1" change in blade length makes a big difference.  
> > IVO shortened blades for me once.  Seems like your 72" blades should 
> > work.  Have you checked that the motor is working good?
> >
> > John
> >
> > On 6/6/2013 10:30 AM, Ron N VelocityXLFG wrote:
> >> Lower RPM at higher speed.  I have a email out to Ivo to see about 
> >> making the blades shorter . Have not heard back yet.
> >>  From past experience they are a little slow in response.
> >>
> >>
> >> Ron
> >> On 6/6/2013 8:10 AM, John Dibble wrote:
> >>> On 6/5/2013 4:13 PM, Ron N VelocityXLFG wrote:
> >>>> I have a 72 dia prop on my  XLFG I am going to try a 76 inch Dia 
> >>>> Ivo propeller  and  I am a little concerned with the clearance . Seems
> >>>> like I have plenty even with a high rotation angle. Is there any 
> >>>> other concerns or advice out there for this configuration.
> >>>>
> >>>> Ron
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> To change your email address, visit 
> >>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>>
> >>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>>> Check old archives: 
> >>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>>>
> >>> If you do have ground contact, the blades are easily repairable or 
> >>> you can cut a little off the ends.  My 220 HP Franklin uses a 68" 
> >>> IVO prop.  76" seems like a lot.  What is the objective?
> >>>
> >>> John
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visit 
> >>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit 
> >> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit 
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130606/eeb9b5a5/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list