REFLECTOR: 4000 Lumen Landing/Taxi Lights

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Mon Jun 3 10:05:19 CDT 2013


I'm interested.

My philosophy is that you can NEVER have too much light. :-)

Any chance of a 24v version?

Only 10-15 degrees?

-Don


On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM, William Walker <blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I am working with a company to adapt some very small but extremely
> powerful lights for use on my XL-5 RG. This usage will probably only appeal
> to RG model owners, but I welcome everyone's input.
>
> Our planes single landing light is not positioned well for anything but
> visibility in the landing flare. Without giving too much away, I am
> developing nose gear mounts for single or dual 2.2" round, LED lights of
> 2000 lumens each which draw 2 amps (at 12 volts) each. They come with a
> rheostat to make them airport friendly as taxi lights. Their full output
> would likely cause much dismay for fellow pilots maneuvering on taxiways
> and runways at night. They will add a good bit of daytime visibility for
> others in the airport vicinity also. Due to their small size, they need to
> stay in the open for cooling reasons. They may add a smidgen of drag, but I
> have no speed brake and welcome that. They may be adaptable for use in
> closed wheel fairings, wherein their light output would slowly degrade as
> they heated up, but I will have to talk to the company.
>
> They will be fixed position and will not rotate with the front wheel, as
> that would involve contactor rings and other such trickery.
>
> They will also not interfere with anyone's rear-mounted shimmy damper and
> no holes have to be drilled in the nose wheel fork.
>
> Two wires will have to be run down the back of the nose gear leg, unless
> someone wants to be creative and run them down the inside and maybe bring
> them out under the big nylock nut for the gear fork. Haven't thought that
> through.
>
> I plan to use two, with one aimed far, one aimed mid distance, and my HID
> landing light for close use. They have a relative "pencil" beam, but due to
> their power, throw off a good amount of light 10-15 degrees to the sides as
> well.
>
> Anyone interested in more lighting and increased safety?
>
> The lights alone will run about $500 for the pair. The owner and I have
> not talked about the mount's additional price, though my design is quite
> simple, so it should not be too much.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130603/dcc25cd1/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list