REFLECTOR: N151AJ first flight
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 12:17:06 CDT 2013
Andrew,
While 450F may be the suggested Lycoming redline, I think most agree that
420ish is a more appropriate redline and best to keep CHT's under 400F.
Mine will go to 420 on climbout if I don't pull back on power in the
2000-5000' range of the climb. In cruise, my CHT's stay in the 350-380F
range as long as I'm running LOP. They'll bump up over 400F if I run at
peak or slightly ROP. I still may need to optimize my cooling flows.
It is annoying having one head running hotter than the others - it took
some baffling and injector balancing to get mine fairly even. Check to see
where the cylinders peak at during leaning. If they are all synchronized
and peak at the same mixture, your injectors/air flow are balanced. If
they don't you may have an injector or two that is less/more restrictive
that could make one cylinder run at a different temperature, or a leaky
intake tube.
Geoff
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Andrew Ellzey <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I agree that my problem is more than likely a air flow issue. I'm not too
> concerned, at this time, because I have been able to keep it under
> control, by not climbing to steep in the pattern, and as long as I don't
> lean too aggressively in cruse. I did several touch and go's in the pattern
> yesterday, and never bumped my programed red line of 450F.
>
> Thanks for your feedback, and I completely agree with everything that you
> said. As I am sure you know, this is all part of Phase one flight testing.
>
> Andy
>
> *From:* Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> *To:* Andrew Ellzey <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>; Velocity Aircraft Owners and
> Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Sent:* Monday, July 29, 2013 10:49 AM
>
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: N151AJ first flight
>
> Swapping the probe is a good idea.
>
> I think you are going to find you need to modify your plenum by opening up
> one side against #5 cylinder to encourage more flow or by inserting a
> baffle to direct more air onto that cylinder. Baffles sometimes help,
> sometimes not. Remember air move like a rope, pushing a rope more often
> than not just creates a tangle/knot, while pulling a rope works every
> time. Opening up a hole next to #5 lowers the pressure in that area which
> pulls the air.
>
> Also 30 degrees is not a lot of difference, I wouldn't sweat it to much
> unless its consistently bumping the bottom of the yellow range in cruise.
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: N151AJ first flight
> From: Andrew Ellzey mailto:ajlz72756 at yahoo.com <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list mailto:reflector at tvbf.org<reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 07/29/2013 09:32 AM
>
> John,
>
> I have now flown my aircraft for about 4 hours, and the #5 CHT has been
> consistently higher that all of the other cylinders by about 30 degrees.
> Yet its EGT is very consistent with all of the other cylinders. I am
> leaning toward a bad CHT probe, I am going to swap #3 & # 5 to see if the
> problem follows. And to answer your question, I don't have an EI, I
> have all of my engine indication shown on my Blue Mountain EFIS One unit.
>
> Andy
>
> *From:* John Dibble mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com<aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list mailto:reflector at tvbf.org<reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Sent:* Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:29 AM
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: N151AJ first flight
>
> On 7/25/2013 12:46 AM, Andrew Ellzey wrote:
>
> N151AJ, Velocity XLRG made its first flight late this afternoon at 7:50
> pm at ROG, Rogers Arkansas airport. I was pilot in command for this first
> flight which lasted 1/2 hour. My aircraft flew quite well, my flight
> controls were very light, any adverse movement came from me not the
> aircraft. Once I lightened up on the control inputs, it flew like a dream.
> I climbed to 1000 AGL and stayed in the pattern for several circles around
> the airport, watching all engine indications for any problems, and just
> getting use to the light flight controls. I opted to leave the gear down
> for this entire flight, didn’t want a gear up landing on my first flight. I
> really had to fight the temptation to pick them up. My #5 CHT bumped
> redline, which I have set to 450F, (Lycoming IO-540 operators manual states
> 500F MAX) once or twice, early on after takeoff. I was however able to
> lower the nose and cool it down pretty quick. After this initial redline it
> seemed to fall in line with the other cylinders, maybe 20 degrees higher
> than the others.
>
> The higher temp could indicate detonation. Do you have an EI?
>
> John
>
> I have two oil coolers in series, one in the front, standard Velocity
> nose NACA scoop, and one in the rear. I had already completed two high
> speed taxi test about 40 minutes earlier, so everything was already warmed
> up, before I even taxied to the end of the runway, oil temp was already
> about 230F before I started my take off roll. My Oil temperature quickly
> cooled down to 210 degrees and stayed there through the whole flight. I
> did a go around on my first landing attempt, a last minute gust at the end
> of the runway pushed me off to the left side of centerline, in about a 15
> deg. crab. I probably could have saved the landing, but elected to do a go
> around to try it again. Second time was a charm, touching down on both
> mains straight down the runway, I even held the nose off for a light
> touchdown. Yea it surprised me also. I forgot to save the flight data on my
> BM EFIS One, so my memory will have to do for this first flight. I had my
> wife video this first flight, but either my camera, and or her unsteady
> hands make some of them too bad to share. This link should allow everyone
> to view the takeoff and landing.
>
>
> http://www.seagateshare.com/share/seagatedasbackup/share/velocity-man/N151AJ%20Velocity%20Reflector%20share/
> -----------------------------------------
> Andrew Ellzey
> 479-631-2851 (Office)
> 479-531-5139 (iPhone)
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> --
> No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
> Aesop
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130729/24f3bac0/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list