REFLECTOR: LED Light Project Finished

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 19 10:46:03 CDT 2013


Hi All,

From the lack of response to my exterior mounted lights, I reconsidered the idea and decided to mount them inside the nose wheel well. Everything works just fine, and the nose gear tube clears them by about 1/4" on each side. They make a dramatic difference to the night landing and night taxi experience. I am in the process of uploading some videos to YouTube. I'll post the specifics when they finish uploading. Please forgive my carrier landings...suffering from some near-in focus. 

Unexpectedly, they make the plane much more visible during the day. I had some fun working with a local contract tower controller by flying directly at the tower from various unknown (to him) directions first with just the landing light, then with the landing light and Darlas all on. With just the landing light, and him actively looking, I was able to get as close as 4-5 miles before he acquired me visually. With the Darlas added, and starting at 10 miles, I never got closer than 8 miles before he saw me. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, they added 2 pounds and draw 2 amps. I can accept that for the benefits. 

Here are some pics. Sorry for the graininess, but it was dusk and I had the camera set to iso3200.

Bill Walker

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1661.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 95658 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0009.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1686.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 84478 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0010.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: GOPR0006.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 75327 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0011.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1694.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 76478 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0012.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1702.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 77076 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0013.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1697.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 73297 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0014.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1705.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 73051 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0015.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1698.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 69774 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0016.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_1706.jpeg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 70321 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130719/a2b59e9e/attachment-0017.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------





More information about the Reflector mailing list