REFLECTOR: Starter contactor

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 19:44:43 CDT 2013


Doug,

My wire table doesn't go to OO wire but it does include #2 which I use with my set-up.  I also think that the current in a 12 volt system will be more like 200 amps which comes out to 0.6 volt drop @ 200 amps and 20' is 4 lbs.  A 24 volt system with #4 gives a 0.5 volt drop and weighs 2.5 lbs. 

Larry Coen
N136LC

From: Douglas Holub 
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:56 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Starter contactor


Oops.  I calculated the power lost in the wire, not the voltage drop.  They would both lose about 3.5 watts, but both systems would drop much less than 1 volt.  Ideally.  Assuming all of the connections were perfect.


Doug




On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com> wrote:

  Just out of curiosity, I calculated how much wire weight would be saved by using a 24 volt system vs. a 12 volt system.  

  Assumptions:  0.07 mohm/ft for 00 AWG,  29 mohm/ft for 4 AWG, 10 feet each way from the battery to the starter, 50 amp starter load at 12 volts, 25 starter load at 24 volts.


  With the 12 volt system you would lose 3.5 volts across the starter wires while starting and the wire would weigh 7.5 lbs.

  For the 24 volt system you would lose 3.6 volts and the wire would weigh 2.4 lbs.


  Doug Holub




   




  On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM, David Ullman <ullman at robustdecisions.com> wrote:

    If you are referring to what I call the starter solenoid, mine is on the
    firewall.  I thought that was where most people put them to keep the wire
    weight down.  I have my main in the front.


    David Ullman
    N444DX
    President EAA 292
    541-760-2338
    david at davidullman.com




    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
    Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
    Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:26 PM
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 100, Issue 71

    Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
            reflector at tvbf.org

    To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
            http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
            reflector-request at tvbf.org

    You can reach the person managing the list at
            reflector-owner at tvbf.org

    When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
    "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


    Today's Topics:

       1.  Does anyone have their starter contactor on the firewall?
          (Don Johnston)
       2. Re:  Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
          firewall? (Tim Rhodenbaugh)
       3. Re:  Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
          firewall? (Don Johnston)
       4.  Speed Brake (John Dibble)
       5. Re:  Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
          firewall? (nmflyer1 at aol.com)
       6. Re:  Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
          firewall? (Scott Derrick)


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Message: 1
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:10:39 -0500
    From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
            firewall?
    Message-ID:
            <CALD29ir2d+_B6u=Ew5U0Ze_+Se2S0UVo7z6oUJe0YkuonF6-WQ at mail.gmail.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    I've got the gear pump assembly from Wayne Lanza which has the battery and
    the starter contactor on it.

    I'm looking at the wiring and having to run the B-leads from the alternators
    all the way up to the nose. It occurred to me that I if the starter
    contactor was on the firewall that I could run the alternators to the
    battery side of the starter contactor which would allow me to utilize the
    low gauge wire already in place between the the starter and battery
    contactor.

    But every Velocity that I've looked at has the both contactors in the front.

    Just wondering anyone has their starter contactor on the firewall.

    -Don Johnston
    XL-RG
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL:
    <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130717/91d42ec2
    /attachment-0001.html>

    ------------------------------

    Message: 2
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:18:33 -0400
    From: Tim Rhodenbaugh <timrhod at aol.com>
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on
            the     firewall?
    Message-ID: <26CDE257-6421-49A0-AD29-FD026E202CDE at aol.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii

    It's been done. I put mine on the firewall. Are you sure it's the starter
    contractor on the pump assembly board and not the master contractor?   Tim
    Rhodenbaugh n370TR XLRG

    Sent from my iPad

    On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:

    > I've got the gear pump assembly from Wayne Lanza which has the battery and
    the starter contactor on it.
    >
    > I'm looking at the wiring and having to run the B-leads from the
    alternators all the way up to the nose. It occurred to me that I if the
    starter contactor was on the firewall that I could run the alternators to
    the battery side of the starter contactor which would allow me to utilize
    the low gauge wire already in place between the the starter and battery
    contactor.
    >
    > But every Velocity that I've looked at has the both contactors in the
    front.
    >
    > Just wondering anyone has their starter contactor on the firewall.
    >
    > -Don Johnston
    > XL-RG
    > _______________________________________________
    > To change your email address, visit
    > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >
    > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
    > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



    ------------------------------

    Message: 3
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:30:11 -0500
    From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on
            the     firewall?
    Message-ID:
            <CALD29iqf--7FFRExbsu4+XKK8x8jLz_=gs+QVas1rhPGW7i09Q at mail.gmail.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    I'm sure. :-)

    http://www.velocity-xl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2011-11-16-DSC_01
    40.jpg

    -Don

    On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Tim Rhodenbaugh <timrhod at aol.com> wrote:

    > It's been done. I put mine on the firewall. Are you sure it's the starter
    > contractor on the pump assembly board and not the master contractor?   Tim
    > Rhodenbaugh n370TR XLRG
    >
    > Sent from my iPad
    >
    > On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I've got the gear pump assembly from Wayne Lanza which has the
    > > battery
    > and the starter contactor on it.
    > >
    > > I'm looking at the wiring and having to run the B-leads from the
    > alternators all the way up to the nose. It occurred to me that I if
    > the starter contactor was on the firewall that I could run the
    > alternators to the battery side of the starter contactor which would
    > allow me to utilize the low gauge wire already in place between the
    > the starter and battery contactor.
    > >
    > > But every Velocity that I've looked at has the both contactors in
    > > the
    > front.
    > >
    > > Just wondering anyone has their starter contactor on the firewall.
    > >
    > > -Don Johnston
    > > XL-RG
    > > _______________________________________________
    > > To change your email address, visit
    > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    > >
    > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw =
    > > tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check
    > > old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > To change your email address, visit
    > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >
    > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
    > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL:
    <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130717/8052a8ec
    /attachment-0001.html>

    ------------------------------

    Message: 4
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:52:04 -0500
    From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Speed Brake
    Message-ID: <51E6E7D4.1050905 at bluefrog.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

    A small amount of hydraulic fluid is leaking at the back side of my speed
    brake.  Looking on the inside it seems to originate where the "cylinder"
    connects to the brake.  Does the speed brake use hydraulic fluid?  If so,
    does it come from the retract system, or is it separate?

    Thanks,

    John


    ------------------------------

    Message: 5
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
    From: nmflyer1 at aol.com
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on
            the     firewall?
    Message-ID: <8D0513A62DEDC1F-D2C-ACF32 at webmail-d143.sysops.aol.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"


    Both my contactors are in the nose. Running a condiut ground with the main
    cable running inside that. Alternator wire runs to the contact point on the
    starter where the main cable attaches.

    Note:  2-seperate battery system.

    Kurt



    -----Original Message-----
    From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
    To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
    Sent: Wed, Jul 17, 2013 12:13 pm
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on the
    firewall?


    I've got the gear pump assembly from Wayne Lanza which has the battery and
    the starter contactor on it.

    I'm looking at the wiring and having to run the B-leads from the alternators
    all the way up to the nose. It occurred to me that I if the starter
    contactor was on the firewall that I could run the alternators to the
    battery side of the starter contactor which would allow me to utilize the
    low gauge wire already in place between the the starter and battery
    contactor.

    But every Velocity that I've looked at has the both contactors in the front.


    Just wondering anyone has their starter contactor on the firewall.

    -Don Johnston
    XL-RG


    _______________________________________________
    o change your email address, visit
    http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose heck
    new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail heck old archives:
    http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL:
    <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130717/537f7e1c
    /attachment-0001.html>

    ------------------------------

    Message: 6
    Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:24:35 -0600
    From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Does anyone have their starter contactor on
            the     firewall?
    Message-ID: <51E6EF73.8080103 at tnstaafl.net>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL:
    <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130717/b08c9d36
    /attachment.html>

    ------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

    End of Reflector Digest, Vol 100, Issue 71
    ******************************************

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html







--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130718/76950edb/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list