REFLECTOR: magneto question

Jack Prock jackprock at wavecable.com
Sat Jul 13 20:43:25 CDT 2013


Hi,

I am in the process of starting my engine for the first time after 8 years in storage. 
It fired finally yesterday, but I think it was only running on the EI and not the mag. 
I only ran for a few minutes and was tinkering with the mixture, so I forgot to check to see
if the mag alone was firing. 

Ok, so I have used magneto’s for years, but now that I am building I am confused by something.

The P-lead post on the mag is used to short or ground the mag so that it doesn’t fire. The standard
switch connects the P-lead to ground when we don’t want the mag to fire. That all makes sense. 

My problem is the mag I have seems to have a problem in that even
when the switch is set to turn the mag on, it is still grounded. I pulled the P-lead wire
off the mag and did a conductivity test and was surprised that the P-Lead post had
conductivity to ground. Which means it is grounded all the time and would not fire.

Am I missing something here? 
Should the P-lead post be grounded all the time? I thought that was the way to 
turn the mag off and on.

I am going to run the engine again tomorrow, but I suspect the mag has a problem.

Does anyone have suggestions on looking at the mag?

thanks,

Jack
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130713/69f1b538/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list