REFLECTOR: Density altitude

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 15:08:34 CDT 2013


What a coincidence Scott.  

Misty and I had to do a road trip to Chambers Az. and back today. While passing through Grants I looked up and told Misty.. Hey.. There's Scott! Looked like you were climbing out pretty good, maybe through 1000' ?


I come home hours later only to find that the Kid says, Hey, Some guy in a Velocity came by and asked if you were home. 


Sorry to miss you. 


Out to the hangar for an hour to work on my Doghouse seal work before off to my 4-Midnight shift. 


Take care. 


-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sat, Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Density altitude


Thats a fantastic chart!

I've been flying mainly high density altitude airports for 14 years, but 
I printed that out for my flight bag.

I fly a STD RG with a IO520 fixed pitch Catto prop.  The prop is pitched 
for cruise so my TO performance is not great.

I used 8,000 ft of runway once, my record when I had a IO360 with Catto 
prop, at Alamosa, CO. I was new to the V at the time, though I knew I 
would need a lot of runway, DA was 12,500+, I had a full tank of gas, a 
bunch of stuff in the back seat, and the passenger weighed 275 lbs!

In the summer here at KGNT, field elevation is 6550, runway is about 
7,000 ft long.  I will use between 3500 and 6000 ft of runway, depending 
on load and time of day.  If I have more than me in the plane I always 
do morning departures. DA is just to high in the afternoon.  Its rarely 
below 10,000 ft after 12 o'clock.

I departed this morning at about 9am, just me, 50 gallons of fuel(60 is 
max), I used about 4000 ft of runway.  DA was 8,000 ft.

In the winter I use about 30-40% less runway.  At sea level its a rocket 
and I've never used more than 3,500 ft at gross.

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Density altitude
From: Karl J. Warner <karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: 07/11/2013 08:17 AM

> I use Koch chart and "rule of thumb" assuming minimum obstacles / terrain 
clearance: 70% of take off speed by halfway point, in my bird = minimum 60 knots 
by 1/2 way or abort.
>
> http://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/mountain-flying/rule_of_thumb.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>

-- 
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
Albert Einstein
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130713/618499f0/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list