REFLECTOR: Density Altitude
Kurt Winker
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 21:23:27 CDT 2013
If I were you, I would run your numbers on a KOCH Chart. Having flown most of my life at high density altitudes, I find it to be the most accurate judge of DA effect on performance.
Today's density altitude at my airport, 8700'
Kurt.
Sent from my iPad
On Jul 10, 2013, at 15:24, "Ruben Creus" <ruben at vainneg.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I guess this has come up before, so sorry to ask again if it had
>
> I was wondering if any one has similar experience or data. I have a Standard
> Velo Fix Gear, with a Catto fix pitch prop. With aprox. 700lbs between
> passengers and fuel, in the winter with density altitude of 500ft I need a
> bit more then 2,000 ft to rotate with a VS+ of maybe 500ft/min.
>
> But in the summer, on a hot day things are not pretty. My density altitude
> goes up to around 2,000 for the same field, and I need around 2,500 to
> rotate and my climb rate is maybe 200ft/mim. for the same weight.
>
> I need to fly to a field that, at the time of take off I expect to encounter
> a density altitude of 4,000ft, with that same weight. So, I wonder if you
> have any experience in those altitudes with that weight and with a fix pitch
> prop. How much runway would that take and what rate of climb?
>
> Ruben
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list