REFLECTOR: FW: Who came up with the lower strake windows?

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Tue Jul 9 21:27:43 CDT 2013


Thanks to everyone for the research and information.  Very interesting.  I
never realized they have been around so long.  Here is a picture of mine
when I installed them.  They are about 6" x 18" with a 2" radius on the
corners.

 

Darrell

 

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Reiff Lorenz
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:32 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: FW: Who came up with the lower strake windows?

 

 

I forwarded the question to David "Beagle" Orr, long-time canardian and
Squadron III newsletter creator. His answer is that the lower strake windows
were invented by Clayton Kau in 1984 in his LongEZ or VariEZ.

 

His full answer is below.

 

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH

Velocity XL-RG, 46% complete

Currently working on: Installing an empty VP-X box for placement.

 

Velocity Owners and Builders Association

http://www.velocityowners.com <http://www.velocityowners.com/> 

 

 

 

From: David Orr [mailto:canardfinder at att.net] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:31 PM
To: Reiff Lorenz
Subject: Re: Who came up with the lower strake windows?

 

Well, it definitely came from Santa Monica, Squadron II members.  I was
giving credit to one Long EZ guy and then another guy, I think Clayton Kau,
convinced me that he had done it first.   So that would be 1984 or so.  I
put it in my Long EZ by about 1985 as I was building the strakes.

 

Discovered at about year 5, flying, that no matter how you tried to protect
them, the baggage would scratch them until they were unusable...besides,
looking down like that can make you sick...

The fuselage cut out windows up front came from Klaus Savier - apparently he
designed them for better landing visibility.

Beagle

On 7/8/2013 3:11 PM, Reiff Lorenz wrote:

 

Beagle,

 

This topic has been kicking around the Velocity email Reflector. Do you know
the answer?

 

Reiff Lorenz

 

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:07 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list



Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Who came up with the lower strake windows?

 

I think they were in Ez's long before they were in V's.



-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Who came up with the lower strake windows?
From: Robert Wood  <mailto:slvegl99 at aol.com> <slvegl99 at aol.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list  <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 07/07/2013 06:27 PM

 

Who came up with the lower strake windows?

=================

It was back at least to 2000 or 2001 when I was building at the Velocity
Service Center. May have Been earlier. I suspect Scott Swing but am not
sure. We put them in then.

Bob Wood

 

Sent from my iPad


On Jul 7, 2013, at 6:21 PM, "Darrell & Nora Kufalk" <kufalk at wi.rr.com>
wrote:

I get more comments from people when they see these windows.

Rear seat passengers absolutely love them.

It would be nice to attribute the idea to someone.

 

Darrell

 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html






_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





-- 
I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130709/bac45d29/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 116-1681_IMG.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 46309 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130709/bac45d29/attachment-0001.jpe>


More information about the Reflector mailing list