REFLECTOR: Mogas

Velocity velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 5 18:37:43 CDT 2013


Where I see Ethanol not being good in the gas . I do not see how it can 
be blamed for so many problems
when it is used in millions of cars for so many years. And I have not 
any of these problems not showing up in any of my cars. There must be 
another common item that we are missing.



Ron



On 7/4/2013 12:25 AM, Kurt Winker wrote:
> Noel,
>
> There Are two easy ways that I know of.
>
> 1: get a jar (pickle, olive, etc).  Mark a line on the outside, 1" up 
> from the bottom. Fill to that line with water.
> Put fuel in to near the top, cover jar and shake.
> Set on a flat surface for 5 minutes.
> If the water level moves up from that line, or the jar stays frothy or 
> opaque, there is some Degree  of alcohol in the fuel.
> The alcohol holds the water in suspension and makes it appear cloudy 
> or as if the water level moves up.
> If It is clear and the water level is the same after that time, no 
> ethanol.
>
> The second one is even easier:  put fuel in a jar.
> Add a couple drops of water soluble food coloring to the sample.
> If the food coloring sinks to the bottom in droplets, then there is no 
> alcohol to dissolve it.
> If the sample changes color (as a whole) then there is alcohol that is 
> dissolving the coloring.
>
> Both of these are published by the EAA, and are available on their 
> site. They really work, and are mandatory in my mind. alcohol is one 
> of the nastiest solvents for rubber, sealants and coatings that there 
> is...Don't chance it! Test always.
>
> Kurt.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jul 3, 2013, at 21:31, Gattenby <gattenby at tulsaconnect.com 
> <mailto:gattenby at tulsaconnect.com>> wrote:
> I'm
>> How do you check for ethanol ?
>>
>> Noel
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:42 PM, Kurt Winker <nmflyer1 at aol.com 
>> <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nowhere in there did I see where he checked to make sure it was 
>>> ethanol free! Damn big mistake. I have been running "clean" MoGas in 
>>> the Cherokee 235 and the cub. Never a problem...but I check EVERY 
>>> batch before I put it in an airplane. I have had stations say was no 
>>> ethanol, only to find it in there...I have also had stations that 
>>> were previously clean, find out they got a load with Ethanol in it....
>>> I have also had this fuel in the Velocity tanks for some time with 
>>> no problems..
>>>
>>> Kurt...
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On Jul 3, 2013, at 15:40, "dennis.doc" <dennis.doc at gmail.com 
>>> <mailto:dennis.doc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Anyone had this happen? Let us know your experience. I've only used 
>>>> LL100 for taxi or flying. (Also, mogas not good for our 
>>>> tanks).Using only Mogas, this guy's fuel lines got a bad case of 
>>>> asthma. From Sonex builder:
>>>>
>>>> Dennis Martin
>>>> 173 FGE Chevy V-6
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     2a
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     Autopsy on fuel line
>>>>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonextalk/message/79565;_ylc=X3oDMTJycG9udDYxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzczNzkxNDAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1Nzg2MDgzBG1zZ0lkAzc5NTY1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEzNzI4MTk0MjM->
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>         Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>       "sonex541" sonex541
>>>>       <mailto:sonex541 at yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20Autopsy%20on%20fuel%20line>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Well after a long process of trying to figure out my problem , I 
>>>> took the fittings of each end , I'm convinced the auto fuel caused 
>>>> this problem , this plane has run 100 ll it's whole life , I wanted 
>>>> to run it a few months ago and went to my local brand name gas 
>>>> station and bought 6 gallons of fuel , I wasn't goin to fly with 
>>>> this fuel but just to run it every week or so during the winter 
>>>> months and get some heat and oil flowing , then when I would start 
>>>> flying It , i would drain it and put 100ll , from the fuel sitting 
>>>> in the fuel line it swelled the rubber inside the braided stainless 
>>>> hose , down to Probably 1/8 of an inch cutting of my fuel flow to 
>>>> the carb , causing the 2 gph fuel flow , . , it's amazing how much 
>>>> it swelled it up , especially closer to the ends were the fittings 
>>>> were threaded in , I cut hose in half and it's Probably down to 
>>>> 1/4th original diameter inside of that ,
>>>> So cheap auto gas has caused me hours of grief and work , so me 
>>>> personally will never put that in any of my planes , ever
>>>> again!!!
>>>> Adam Simmons
>>>> Sonex 541
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130705/713bfae9/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list