REFLECTOR: Need a topic... gear down check

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 25 06:25:41 CST 2013


James, I'll look again at the USGS website... the databases I saw available
were many gigabytes as they covered the whole globe.

Darrell Kufalk, thanks - I did take a hard look at that.  It looks like a
good system.  But... I'm doing this project for fun and for learning, and I
like the idea of cheap.

Michael E Dawson (with all the big letters behind your name).  Duh.  Aren't
you the smartypants...  Have any constructive input?

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering


----- Message from James Lotspeich <jlotspeich34 at gmail.com> on Thu, 24 Jan
2013 19:06:06 -0600 -----
                                                           
      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list       
          <reflector at tvbf.org>                             
                                                           
 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Need a topic... gear down check   
                                                           

Dave,

You can download digital terrain and elevation data (DTED) straight from
the USGS web page.  I believe they offer 10m post spacing to the public,
but it may be 100m.  You'd have to extrapolate between posts, but it's not
a bad start.  If you order the full data set for the US, they'll charge a
nominal fee to burn it and mail it to you.

James

On Thursday, January 24, 2013, Dave T Nelson wrote:
  I agree with everyone that a key shortcoming of my plan is in having to
  guess at the altitude (i.e., subtracting the destination airport altitude
  from the Dynon altitude).  Short of a laser based or radar altimeter, a
  better solution would be to find a north American elevation database
  referenced to lat/long.  A bit of background...

  I researched homebrew radar systems, even going so far as to exchange
  emails with several experimenters.  Unfortunately, there was no simple,
  repeatable design to be had...  The other factor to consider is that the
  architecture of what I'm implementing is very highly configurable...
  there will be no big problem in retrofitting a better solution in the
  future.

  Keep the input coming!

  Dave

  Dave T. Nelson
  T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
  Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130125/24054899/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list