REFLECTOR: What's going on with my kit

Steven Oakley steve at oakley-s.com
Wed Jan 23 15:47:52 CST 2013


Hi Clay,

Yes I have been hanging around here too dormant, for too long, my plans are:
Garage = not enough room for the build.
I plan to build a shop under 200Sq Ft (no planning permit needed for
less than 200) in the back of my garden.

I hope to be able to build all year round as heating a shop in WA is
easier than a Garage  in CO.

Keep safe on your travels and when you have time we probably need to
have a beer or so.

Steve.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thought some of you might be interested in an update on my stuff.
>
> I have a XL-FG kit (planning on switching to RG) that I bought used in
> California and trucked up to my house in Seattle in June. My basement was
> inadequate for construction due to a number of support posts and an unused
> furnace chimney in the middle of it.  Also there was no adequate way to get
> a fuselage in or out.
>
> I had the chimney removed, the posts removed and the beam they supported
> replaced with a much larger steel beam.   I had a 12' wide section of wall
> replaced with removable panels and an additional section of basement created
> to get to the new opening.   Construction was actually finished earlier this
> week with the last of the cleanup happening today.  I'll send some pictures
> as soon as I get my tools/random basement junk tidied up.
>
> Overall the modifications have cost me about $60,000.  Of that I expect to
> see about $30,000 in value if I were to sell the house.
>
> The kit is in the basement except for the 4' by 8' section of foam for the
> strake baffles.  I just need an evening when I can drive slowly with my
> truck so I don't break it with the wind.
> The blue foam has taken some damage due to transport and being moved around
> by the construction guys while they worked in the basement, but it's not too
> bad.  Probably 5 or 6 places that will need repair.
>
> Unfortunately I won't be able to get started on it this year since I'm
> deploying to Afghanistan.  I'm in the Washington Army National Guard, and
> while I've deployed to Iraq twice this will be my first time in Afghanistan.
> So for now I'm stacking everything in a corner of the basement and expect to
> see it again in the spring of 2014.
>
> I am going to Georgia for a couple of weeks (Map: http://goo.gl/maps/fxiWe)
> and am taking the weekend in between to go visit the factory and take a test
> flight.    Does anybody have any advice for me on what I should look at,
> ask, or do while I am there?
>
> And is Steve that moved to Shoreline (Seattle) on here?   Did you get
> started on your kit yet?
>
> Clay
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list