REFLECTOR: New PMag and Matco XLHD Brakes Update
Kevin Baker
flykb at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 23:54:29 CST 2013
Hi All,
Quick clarification - When I said I was "With the old setup I was
running at 160kts at 10k at 9gph wit"
That was TAS not indicated. - wow wouldn't that have been great.
Also - wanted to mention - that with the new electroair the bolt
patterns between the old firewall unit and new were not the same (about
1/2-3/4" diff on all bolts). I wonder why they didn't leave them the
same so it would be an easy replacement for the old unit instead of a
new install.
Thanks,
Kevin Baker
On 2/28/2013 9:33 PM, Kevin Baker wrote:
> Hi All,
> Ok.. so I thought I would post what I've been doing/upgrading for
> others to learn by and maybe a good story for folks to read thru.
> I know I enjoy reading these from other builders so I thought I'd
> submit one as well.
>
> 1st - I had the old electoair system. During run ups, while doing the
> 'mag' check I found that the elec ignition ran rougher than the mags.
> mmmmm
> So, I called electroair and they suggested I send the coils (firewall)
> and mag sensor to them to check out. They found that the mag sensor
> bearings were too loose/going out and suggested I get a new sensor
> unit. (that would explain the rough elec ignition). When they told me
> to take the coil pack off the firewall they told me to just remove the
> connections and take the vacuum hose off and send it in.
> We'll when I got it back I had removed the vacuum hose from the coil
> pack (which came off without a problem) - we'll I have the old unit
> where the coils and vacuum are all on the firewall. When I called
> Electoair on how to reinstall the vacuum hose they said that once it
> comes off the coil pack it's done - no way to fix it and I would have
> to purchase one of the new coil packs with the coils on the firewall
> and a connection to an inside the cabin part (2 parts now).
> We'll - I now had a decision to make. I have to give them credit that
> they would give me a discount since I was an old customer, but I was
> not fond of drilling more holes thru the firewall and metal shield as
> my plane is up and flying.
> SO - I looked around and spoke to alot of folks an decided to put on a
> PMag instead (it's self contained and has a built in alt for
> generating it's own power) ie battery dies and the pmag will keep on
> running - no problem.
> I got the PMag and installed it and it's super simple to time,
> installation was very easy and I can say runs as smooth as silk. (I'm
> sure the electoair would have run smooth as well with the new mag
> timing unit) - The other reason I switched was that in 200 hours the
> mag timing unit had been replaced now 2 times due to bearings. ?)
> Ok.. so know I've done several tests and run ups and am ready to go
> flying - engine running great - My Biannual is up (actually today) so
> - I've got to get that taken care of in March.
> I'm thinking I may have (hopefully) more power since before I was only
> running on mags and off timed electoair - not the most efficient.
>
> With the old setup I was running at 160kts at 10k at 9gph with a new
> catto 3 blade prop. (My plane is a Elite 173FG - Long wing (like XL)
> with std elite fuse)
>
> ... Part 2. New Matco Brakes...
> Ok.. I had the old normal Matco Brakes and had ok braking - I wanted
> to be sure I had plenty of braking. If I landed on short field, full
> gross and a little fast wanted to make sure my brakes would not
> fade/fail on me and my old brakes I would have to really push to get
> the most use out of them.
> So - I did some measurements as to energy and the brakes ability, I
> spoke to Matco and bought the 600XLHD..xxx brakes (don't remember the
> exact model but they were the 600XL heavy duty ones).
> They came in and I went to install them on the gear legs. I was a
> little nervous about the whole brake bleeding thing but after some
> research found on the RV forum a guy that used a TSC quart metal oil
> can and a tube. I got the air out of the pump and tube - attached it
> to the matco caliper and pumped from the bottom until it was close to
> the brake line. I then connected the brake line (don't for get the
> brass insert in the brake line so you will not have any leak issues)
> and pumped from the bottom up to the brake master cyl. Man- what was I
> worried about .. piece of cake and no air bubbles in the line. I did
> both sides in about 20 min - by myself. :-) (smiles all around).
> I wanted to double check my toe in and camber while I was there and
> the camber was perfect - toe in ..mm not so much.
> I called Velocity and they indicated the toe in on a FG should be
> between 2"-4" total and that they don't have to be exactly even on
> both side but the important part was to have toe-IN. I actually had a
> little toe out and it was tracking funny - no kidding.
>
> Ok.. so I dropped a nose plumb line and found the center between the
> gear legs to measure my toe in. I then used a little laser level with
> a flat side to project a line to find my toe in.
> At this point I must say that I had the measurements of toe-in before
> jacking the plane. I then measured the toe in after the plane was
> jacked up and thought I could "adjust the axle bolts" until I had the
> right toe-in. ie- I needed 1" more toe in adjust the axels (tightening
> and/or washers) until I got 1" inch toe-in.
> The part I found out later is that when you put the weight back on the
> axle (and yes roll it in and out) the weight will make the wheel to
> head toward toe OUT the heavier it is.
> I had the toe-in set at 1-1/2" on one side and 2" on the other with
> (10gal fuel) - I then, filled up (50gal) and had Lt 0" and Rt0.5" mmmm
> didn't see that coming.
> No wonder it pulled a little to the Left after coming back from
> filling up.
>
> So, I decided to go back and set the toe-in to what weight I will
> normally be flying at to 1 to 1.5 on each side. Then when I'm light
> I'll have more toe in (eating more tire but tracking ok) and when at
> full gross will have about 1/2" toe in on each side. (don't usually
> fly full gross but very rarely).
>
> Oh.. and the brakes work MUCH better - especially after you do the
> 'breaking' procedures on the pads.
>
> So - Very happy with the pmag / Brakes are much better / bleeding was
> a breeze with the RV/can setup / and I must say I'm getting tired of
> jacking the plane up and messing with the toe in but now I'm able to
> do it in about 30-40 min on each side and with 1 more adjustment will
> be done. :-)
>
> Now... I just have to get the pesky biannual done so I can fly with
> the new pmag and see if I have more power at alt. :-) (fingers crossed
> - I would love to see 165 or possibly 170)
>
> Hope this was if not helpful - entertaining for folks....
> Kevin Baker
> N164PS 173FG Elite Catto IO-360 200HP
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list