REFLECTOR: Fuel imbalance
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 11:35:34 CST 2013
Hi Scott,
I understand exactly your point. My question to the group is, once again,
has a VELO with current configuration (sump tank and no selector valves or
pumps -ever- drained the sump while holding a heading on a cross-country
course either manual stick flying or on an auto-pilot. I haven't heard of
this. Someone please correct me.
If no, I will continue to fly fat dumb and happy with fuel imbalances in
place due to a low-wing fighting a cross wind from aileron inputs from
S-TEC to maintain course; a much more fuel efficient method of course-line
holding than setting a slip or flying a crab angle with rudder trim to
balance out the tanks.
I suppose I have too much faith in the factory? And first hand experience.
Mark
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> Mark, if it is attitude that is causing the fuel imbalance it is more
> likely rudder trim and not because you are in a aileron turn towards a
> crosswind. Our both-on fuel systems have a very low head(pressure) to feed
> the sump and just a bit of slip or skid will cause one to feed faster than
> the other as the low pressure flow in the main tanks is fighting the
> centripetal force in one tank and being aided by it in the other.
>
> With a perfectly rigged airplane, having a single pilot will cause a
> slight imbalance(low wing), no wind, on the pilot side. Just a slight bit
> of left rudder would correct this but we don't
> have rudder trim so we correct it with aileron and skid along the entire
> flight.
>
> The T210's I fly have rudder trim, you can't really fly them with out
> using it. I've neglected to correct the rudder trim when it was just a bit
> out and since the 210 also has a both-on selection the tanks would feed
> asymmetrically. Correcting the rudder trim would correct the imbalanced
> fuel flow.
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel imbalance
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 02/17/2013 08:37 AM
>
> Hi Scott,
>> My autopilot is not hooked (currently) to the rudders, it is a 3 axis
>> however. My ALT HOLD function was acting up so I disabled it; heading bug
>> on S-TEC ( sorry I said TruTrak earlier, a few airplanes ago...)
>> No worries, nothing to disagree with really. I told you what happened to
>> me.
>>
>> Mark B. Magee
>> N34XL
>> Sent from IPhone 4S
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I can't agree with this. In coordinated turn, which th Velocity
>>> does with ease using no rudder, the fuel should be perfectly balanced. If
>>> your auto pilot was hooked up to your rudders and you were skidding or
>>> slipping along, yes that will imbalance the fuel tanks.
>>>
>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel imbalance
>>> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Date: 02/15/2013 04:27 PM
>>>
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>> When I flew from Deer Valley AZ to Brady TX 2 years ago in my XLFG I
>>>> must have had a N wind on a W to E course for halfway home I had nothing
>>>> showing on my starboard tank, port side nearly full. TruTrack Otto holding
>>>> a heading on the heading bug had my left wing down and I drained that
>>>> starboard tank. I think this can happen when we are not flying a crab
>>>> angle, but with with an autopilot only using awl iron control to maintain
>>>> heading
>>>>
>>>> Mark B. Magee
>>>> N34XL
>>>> Sent from IPhone 4S
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 2:40 PM, "Richard J. Gentil" <
>>>> richard at naples-air-center.com**> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Last Sunday I was flying back to Naples, FL from Augusta, GA in my
>>>>> SERG. I took off with 25 a side.
>>>>>
>>>>> As I flew down the right tank was the only tank feeding fuel to the
>>>>> sump tank. When I hit the VNAV point for Naples the right tank was at 6
>>>>> gallons.
>>>>>
>>>>> When I stated to descend the left tank started to feed the sump tank
>>>>> and actually transfer fuel to the right tank.
>>>>>
>>>>> Any ideas what could have been going on?
>>>>>
>>>>> Richard
>>>>>
>>>>> Sent from my iPhone 5
>>>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/**
>>>>> listinfo/reflector <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/**
>>>>> velocity/maillist.html<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/**
>>>> listinfo/reflector <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/**
>>>> velocity/maillist.html<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she
>>> gets in hot water.
>>> Eleanor Roosevelt
>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/**
>>> listinfo/reflector <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/**
>>> velocity/maillist.html<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>>>
>>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/**
>> listinfo/reflector <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/**velocity/maillist.html<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>>
>>
> --
> I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the
> understanding which bringeth peace.
> Helen Keller
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/**
> listinfo/reflector <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/**velocity/maillist.html<http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130217/5c7feeac/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list