REFLECTOR: Cold weather flying

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Wed Dec 11 08:49:51 CST 2013


Make sure to tape off canard cover and and concentric torque tube openings. And keel. Anything that can bleed air seems like it does it worse when it is cold out. Also, make sure your door seals are good. As air will leak around them. 

The plane will perform fine. Watch your engine. You can find a couple articles online about cold weather and engines. You can develop above 100% with extreme cold temperatures due to very dense air. As a result your CHT's can run hotter. 

As for heat. Front oil cooler is really only good to about 25 degrees F during the day. I typically find it not bad with a coat, pants, and shoes with socks. Even in extreme cold up north I haven't had to use any heated blankets or anything. Sometimes a hat is nice if bleed air is hitting your head. Gloves can help as long as they are functional. I got a set from my brother courtesy of the USAF that work great for being able to flip switches and grip thins. An surplus store or amazon may be able to find them. 

We are playing around with a new heater design for the twin and if it works will keep you posted as it may be something you can add to others. 

John

> On Dec 11, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Guys,
> 
> I am thinking of flying up to visit family and friends in Saskatchewan (Canada) over the holidays.  I flew there this summer, and it was a wonderful trip.  I live in MA and fly all winter, but up in SK its a different level of cold.  Its been ~-5F there this week.  I just have the nose oil cooler for cabin heat, and its been fine for MA sort of temps (I'm nice and comfortable at 20F), but for -20C, I suspect it won't be enough.  I've bought a seat warmer and will likely get some heated socks to keep me warm.
> 
> I'm not so worried about me keeping warm, I'm more concerned about the operation of the airplane.  Anyone in the mid-west have experience flying in <0F weather?  What about fogging/frosting of the windshield?  I've had my windshield fog up on the ramp, but that's easily remedied by opening the door - tough to do in the air.
> 
> I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on cold weather flying in a Velocity and things I should be thinking about.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Geoff
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list