REFLECTOR: Roll trim mod suggestions
Ron N VelocityXLFG
velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 11 07:40:05 CST 2013
I changed mine after several flights, it did not seem to be working as
well as yours. I also figured many people in velocitys have auto pilot
in there plane and
that is why there has been little need to change something that is so
lightly used . On mine if had a run away problem it would be a
nuisance but can easily be over rode.
I will try the dynamic brake any way as the gear reduction put a
significant drag on the movement and my hope is with the dynamic brake
it will be just enough to lock it in place.
With that said I would also say Velocity aircraft does a great job on
there kits . The amount of information and instructions have been
great. I have done very little to change the kits
build process as the plans seem much better than I could have ever
done. Nice job VelocityAircraft.com
My 2 cents
Ron
On 12/11/2013 12:42 AM, Brooke Wolf wrote:
> Don
>
> I have the factory setup on mine and it is not a problem. The string
> and pulley system may seem a little cheesy but, surprisingly, it
> works. I too was concerned about its utility. On the ground, without
> air loads, it seemed to slip quite a bit. The only thing I did
> different during the build was to coat the string with a little belt
> dressing. It still slipped (on the ground). I haven't touched it
> since. It works just fine in the air. Frankly, since beginning
> flight, I haven't given it much thought. It is just not an issue. I
> trim subconsciously in both roll and vertical modes with the standard
> "coolie hat" switch. Somehow without thinking about it, the airplane
> stays trimmed in both modes.
>
> BTW, the check is in the mail. Thanks
>
> Brooke
>
>
>>
>> 1. Roll trim mod suggestions (Don Johnston)
>>
>> *From: *Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net <mailto:numa at comcast.net>>
>> *Subject: **REFLECTOR: Roll trim mod suggestions*
>> *Date: *December 10, 2013 at 9:51:58 PM EST
>> *To: *"reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>"
>> <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
>> *Reply-To: *Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
>>
>>
>> Requesting suggestions from the hive mind...
>>
>> After hearing all the comments about the stock roll trim slipping, I
>> decided that I would go another way. When I saw Geoff's solution, I
>> felt it was perfect.
>>
>> Except he has a motor with a .25" shaft where mine is 5/16". The
>> pulleys for the 5/16" shafts are only available in a larger diameter
>> and that caused interference issues with the aileron torque-tube
>> bellcrank and cables.
>>
>> So I decided to go with a system similar to what is in my Cessna.
>> Chains! Absolutely no slipping with chains. And it works great.
>> Positive motion and no slipping. In fact, it will pull the spring
>> around the pulley. Which causes it to derail and get caught in the
>> bellcrank. :-(
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to put in a
>> (simple) motion limiting mechanism. It would have to be on the motor
>> or chain. My first thought was microswitches that reverse the motor
>> direction. But I cant' figure out how to trigger the switches.
>>
>> Don
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131211/860531eb/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list