REFLECTOR: Air fuel monitor installed - works great

Kurt Winker nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 9 13:12:39 CST 2013


"Wide Band" o-2 sensors are a bit more forgiving of lead too.

Kurt

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 9, 2013, at 10:21, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Ron,
> 
> Yes, I'll keep an eye on that.  I think that in typical auto uses where the O2 sensor is placed quite far from the exhaust ports, lead accumulation can be a problem.  Placed closer to the exhaust port where it stays hotter, might help.  As I mentioned, the other builder who has been using this has not seen any problems for 200hrs.  O2 sensors are pretty cheap, tho, may not be a bad idea for me just to swap it out at annual.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Geoff
> 
> 
> 
>> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Just a note but O2 Sensors do not like leaded fuel. Life of a o2 sensor with av fuel is around 60 hr. Can be extended with fuel additives.
>> I work with this problem for a while now  with my LT1 Engine install.
>> 
>> Ron
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On 12/8/2013 5:07 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>> 
>>> A fellow Canadian and Lancair builder (Murray Marien)           posted something on the Dynon about an air/fuel monitor he installed and got working with the Dynon Skyview system.  I installed a similar system on my IO-360 and absolutely love it.  I always fly LOP, but have always found it a bit of a pain to get to the right mixture, particularly if you want to lean out on climb or keep it lean on descent.  With this AFR monitor, its a snap, just dial in the mixture until you get the AFR you want.
>>> 
>>> Here's the one I installed:
>>> http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=SEMOSMAFRV2
>>> 
>>> Its only ~$140 and comes with everything you need (O2 sensor, harness, module).  It outputs a 0-5V signal that is proportional to the air/fuel ratio.  I was able to wire it into one of the free sensor inputs on my Dynon Skyview so I have an AFR gauge on my panel.  I put the O2 sensor on the #4 exhaust quite close to the exhaust port.  Murray had asked the manufacture about proper placement on a Lycoming, and they suggested close to the exhaust port to keep it hot to avoid lead buildup.  Murray has been running his setup for >200hrs without problems.  I highly recommend it.
>>> 
>>> Geoff
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>> 
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131209/bf9043ef/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list