REFLECTOR: Airfoil

David Ullman ullman at robustdecisions.com
Thu Dec 5 21:43:16 CST 2013


Reiff,
Thanks for the background.  I will measure up my airfoil and see what I come
up with.  I suspect that each of us have a different shape(s) (the "s" is
for root to tip variation).  I will keep all informed of the result of my
modeling.  This is one of my winter projects, besides finally painting 444DX
(which has about 100 hours on her). 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 5:33 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 105, Issue 7

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Airfoils (Reiff Lorenz)
   2. Re:  Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller Dimmer?
      (Reiff Lorenz)
   3. Re:  Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller Dimmer?
      (Reiff Lorenz)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 19:41:39 -0500
From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at Lorenz.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Airfoils
Message-ID:
	<BFD8FEA9F3C5194597CF740E290D0DFA223D3F621A at tlc10.lorenz.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

>> Anyone know of the Airfoil sections on the wing and canard?  <<





David,



Many in the Velocity community will tell you that the Velocity airfoils are
TLAR designs . . . that Danny Maher shaped them until "They Look About
Right!" Funny story, but I think there's a more accurate description.



Danny built 2 Long EZs before creating the Velocity. The Wiki's unofficial
history<http://wiki.velocityoba.com/index.php?title=UnOfficial_Velocity_Hist
ory> of the Velocity claims that the Velocity wings are "modified Long-EZ
airfoils with Roncz vortilons added." This makes sense, given the designer's
history. I had tried to find more information on the canard design, but was
unable to find any magazine articles or online sources that referenced it.



I ran into Danny Maher when I was in Sebastian for Head Start in 2012. I
asked him about the Velocity's airfoils. He confirmed the wings were
"modified Long-EZ," adjusted to the larger plane he wanted.  He could not
give me specifics on the "adjustments," perhaps lending some truth to the
TLAR story. When asked about the canard, he said that at the time he was
designing the Velocity, the Rutan canard community was struggling with the
Glasgow University (GU) canard's problem with losing lift when
"contaminated" with rain drops. Danny's neighbor at the airport had an old
German glider that was in disrepair. Danny claimed that the Germans made
some of the best-performing airfoils in the world, so modeled his canard off
of the glider's horizontal stabilizer, scaled up to the appropriate size
(and inverted, obviously). I tried to get details on the make and model of
the glider, but Danny couldn't recall. I even asked if the plane's remains
were still in the area, but they had bee!
 n removed long ago. I didn't pursue this any further; just added a few
details about the canard to the wiki and moved on.



I don't know if this helps with your model, but either way I thought you'd
find it interesting.



Would love to hear more about your research, analysis, and modeling. Maybe
post something here or send me a longer write-up and high-res images for the
newsletter?



Thanks!



Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 51% complete
Currently working on: Exhaust routing


Velocity Owners and Builders Association
http://www.VelocityOwners.com<http://www.velocityowners.com/>

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a
7ee1f38e65












-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of David Ullman
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:04 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Airfoils



I am building an analytical model of my Velocity.  It is an SEFG of 2005
heritage.  Anyone know of the Airfoil sections on the wing and canard?





David Ullman

N444DX

President EAA 292

541-760-2338

david at davidullman.com<mailto:david at davidullman.com>







_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector



Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives:
www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131205/46feff11
/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:14:46 -0500
From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at Lorenz.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller
	Dimmer?
Message-ID:
	<BFD8FEA9F3C5194597CF740E290D0DFA223D3F621B at tlc10.lorenz.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"


Don,

The way I read the RG system
schematics<http://www.velocityxl.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=352> page 25,
the dimmer switch is connected between the power bus (+) and the RG system.
I have not tested this theory, though, so apply power at your own risk!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 51% complete
Currently working on: Exhaust system routing




From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Don Johnston
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:56 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller Dimmer?

Does anyone know the specifics of the dimmer hookup for Wayne's landing gear
controller?
I can't find anything in the doc's and I haven't been able to get a response
from Wayne.
I'm guessing that maybe it's a pot that has one leg grounded. But I don't
know what resistance the pot would be.
-Don
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131205/01b88726
/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:32:14 -0500
From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at Lorenz.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller
	Dimmer?
Message-ID:
	<BFD8FEA9F3C5194597CF740E290D0DFA223D3F621C at tlc10.lorenz.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Don,

I think there are multiple versions of the RG system. I suspect that the one
I have (circa 2000) does not have a a dimmer circuit.

Check out these images and let me know if you see the spade connector that
you mentioned. I'm not seeing where I could connect a dim switch.

[cid:image001.png at 01CEF1F9.156C4190]

[cid:image002.png at 01CEF1F9.156C4190]

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 51% complete
Currently working on: Exhaust routing

Velocity Owners and Builders Association
http://www.VelocityOwners.com<http://www.velocityowners.com/>

The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar is available 24/7 at:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=86a48563bb517ade0abf1a
7ee1f38e65




From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Don Johnston
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:00 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Composite Designs Landing Gear Controller Dimmer?

There's a .25" spade connector on the back of the controller under the
"Alarm" tab that's labeled "Dim".

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Pinkav8or
<pinkav8or at aol.com<mailto:pinkav8or at aol.com>> wrote:
Don't think you can hook up a dimmer,but not sure. I have his system and
remember wanting to be able to dim at night(I fly a lot at night)and not
being able to.Turns out to not really be that bad,all the lights are out in
cruz and the bright lights till gear up or till landing is not bad

Ray Watkins
N222RW

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 3, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Don Johnston
<numa at comcast.net<mailto:numa at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know the specifics of the dimmer hookup for Wayne's landing
gear controller?
>
> I can't find anything in the doc's and I haven't been able to get a
response from Wayne.
>
> I'm guessing that maybe it's a pot that has one leg grounded. But I don't
know what resistance the pot would be.
>
> -Don
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: 
> www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131205/3e2dee75
/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 208685 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131205/3e2dee75
/attachment.png>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image002.png
Type: image/png
Size: 412945 bytes
Desc: image002.png
URL:
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20131205/3e2dee75
/attachment-0001.png>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 105, Issue 7
*****************************************



More information about the Reflector mailing list