REFLECTOR: engine question

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at Roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 15 14:03:06 CDT 2013


I haven’t had a chance to check yet

From: Clayton Chase 
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:57 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: engine question

Lou:
Is your fuel burn increased by the same 16% or is it about the same?  I'll assume it's a little higher, but is it as much higher?  If you fly at your previous max of 155kt is your fuel burn lower than it was previously?

Clay




On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Scott Baker <scottb33333 at gmail.com> wrote:

  Lou,
  What material metal did you find and what parts were wearing?
  Did the engine overhaul include a new/overhauled camshaft?
  Best,
  Scott B. 



  On 8/14/2013 4:35 PM, Lou Stedman wrote:

    On my last conditional inspection I found metal in my oil filter. After removing one of the cylinders I found the need to have my cylinders (4) taken down 10 thousands and new pistons put in. The total time since overhaul was just over 500 hrs. I have begun the break in period and have been pleasantly surprised. I am running 20W50 mineral oil and am not using near as much oil as I had expected. In the first seven hours I used one quart. Hoe that keeps up.

    The thing that most surprised me is the increase in power. I could understand the increase if my compression figures were down but they were not. For the last three years I have been running mid to high 70’s. Previously, my max RPM at full throttle in level flight was about 2500. Now my max is about 2650. My max IAS before was about 155kt and now it is about 180kt. Nothing about the aircraft has changed except for the cylinders. Can anyone shed some light on this? I am happy but confused.

     

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130815/bfb6646a/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list