REFLECTOR: engine question
Tom Cacek
hytec45 at aol.com
Wed Aug 14 15:50:46 CDT 2013
"Overhaul" one of the most abused terms in aviation. All something needs to be is within "serviceable" vs "New" limits and it can be re-run as overhauled. No mystery here. The "choke" or taper of the cylinders was below "New" specks, but within Serviceable limits which are much more relaxed. The lower part of the bore was probably larger than the upper part, and where the piston is during a compression check. Good for you with the oil burn, and increased power.
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
-----Original Message-----
From: Lou Stedman <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>
To: Velocity Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 14, 2013 01:37 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: engine question
On my last conditional inspection I found metal in my oil filter. After
removing one of the cylinders I found the need to have my cylinders (4) taken
down 10 thousands and new pistons put in. The total time since overhaul was just
over 500 hrs. I have begun the break in period and have been pleasantly
surprised. I am running 20W50 mineral oil and am not using near as much oil as I
had expected. In the first seven hours I used one quart. Hoe that keeps
up.
The thing that most surprised me is the increase in power. I could
understand the increase if my compression figures were down but they were not.
For the last three years I have been running mid to high 70’s. Previously, my
max RPM at full throttle in level flight was about 2500. Now my max is about
2650. My max IAS before was about 155kt and now it is about 180kt. Nothing about
the aircraft has changed except for the cylinders. Can anyone shed some light on
this? I am happy but confused.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130814/089ed303/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list