REFLECTOR: Best Speed for MPG
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Aug 14 10:37:16 CDT 2013
Brian,
My IAS gauge has a TAS scale, you dial in OAT and altitude and it
displays both IAS and TAS. Well, it always display IAS! ;-) I rarely
note the IAS as I'm more interested in my true air speed. Normally
comparing my TAS to my GPS ground speed to figure out what the relative
winds are.
Next time I fly I can note those.
I can say that for the 4,000 ft speed the IAS and TAS are very close.
Scott
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Best Speed for MPG
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 08/14/2013 09:18 AM
> Do you have indicated airspeed at those settings?
>
> On 8/14/2013 9:00 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:
>> My best is up high. 18,000 ft, 10.5 GPH 180KTAS.
>>
>> At 12,500 ft a more common place for me to cruise, 12 GPH at 175KTAS.
>>
>> At 4,000 ft I'm up to 13.5 GPH at 175KTAS
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Best Speed for MPG
>> From: Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Date: 08/14/2013 07:52 AM
>>
>>> I have read that some where also and the argument makes sense that the
>>> engine is nothing more than a air
>>> pump. So you do not want to restrict it. Though it seems there should
>>> also be a sweet spot where the
>>> aerodynamic is more important that the throttle position.
>>>
>>> On 8/14/2013 7:59 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>>>> The engine runs most efficiently at wide open throttle and low RPM.
>>>>
>>>> If you can regulate power with altitude, fly high at WOT.
>>>>
>>>> On 08/14/2013 07:51 AM, Ron N VelocityXLFG wrote:
>>>>> I was wondering what the best speed per gallon of gas has been in
>>>>> the velocity.
>>>>> I have been doing some work on this lately . Now my plane having a
>>>>> alternative
>>>>> motor and a fixed pitch prop will likely not be the same as other
>>>>> installations but
>>>>> with that said I still would like to know what Speed other velocity
>>>>> pilots are
>>>>> finding for the best fuel mileage has been. I feel most comfortable
>>>>> at 145 knots
>>>>> seems to be the sweet spot for me so far but that is also my comfort
>>>>> zone for the engine
>>>>> rpm on my fixed pitch propeller. Now this is only about Half throttle
>>>>> for me wide
>>>>> open I get 175 knots Or should I say 201 MPH but I am sure my
>>>>> mileage will go way down at the speed.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> So far for me with only a few cross country's under my belt
>>>>> Velocity XLFG LT1
>>>>> Prop RPM 2500 Prop tip speed 535 mph
>>>>> Prop Dia 72"
>>>>> At 4500 alt
>>>>> 2600 gross Weight
>>>>> Speed of 143 knots
>>>>> 280 mile round trip
>>>>>
>>>>> I got 12 gallons an hour
>>>>> fuel burn
>>>>>
>>>>> Ron
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives:
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the
door will be opened to you.
Jesus Christ
More information about the Reflector
mailing list