REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 101, Issue 32

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:41:55 CDT 2013


Rutan didn't think they were too necessary.... Example, the Star Ship... I didn't have them on mine and it flew great...


Steve 

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 19:17:10 +0200
From: wimhuisman at gmail.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 101, Issue 32

Hello,
I have about 600 hours without, and 130 with Winglets in a Velocity.  There should be no discussion, always put them on.
With no wind and smooth approaches a 10 hour pilot can land a Velocity with or without winglets, but  with serious crosswinds and unstable approaches ( busy traffic, sharp turns towards final) you will get in trouble without winglets fast.

Wim Huisman
N59wh and N127dh ( until 1999)
On Monday, August 12, 2013,   wrote:

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to

        reflector at tvbf.org



To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

        http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

        reflector-request at tvbf.org



You can reach the person managing the list at

        reflector-owner at tvbf.org



When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."





Today's Topics:



   1.  Anyone flying without bottom singlets? (jeff findarle)

   2. Re:  Anyone flying without bottom singlets? (Brian Michalk)

   3. Re:  Anyone flying without bottom singlets? (Kevin Baker)





----------------------------------------------------------------------



Message: 1

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:35:30 -0700 (PDT)

From: jeff findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com>

To: Reflector POST <reflector at tvbf.org>

Subject: REFLECTOR: Anyone flying without bottom singlets?

Message-ID:

        <1376325330.91325.YahooMailNeo at web126104.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"



OK, I have talked to a few people who built their birds without the winglets and are telling me they are definitely fine without them. Any others out there like to comment?

Of course I realize that maybe they have not flown a Velocity with them, but they all said they have had no problems in slow flight controlability or in crosswind landings.

I really would prefer not to have them on the plane if possible.



?

TEAM JEFF,

Jeff Findarle, GRI  &  Darin Heckel

Realtor ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?                      Realtor



AllStar Realty

575 N main St.

Heber City, UT. 84032



Jeff's Cell     435-503-0514

Darin's Cell  435-671-3957

Off.               435-654-9440

Fax               435-654-9437



Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!

Don't Lose it, Sell it!

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130812/233d0695/attachment-0001.html>




------------------------------



Message: 2

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:41:33 -0500

From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

To: jeff findarle <flynfndarle at yahoo.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners

        and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anyone flying without bottom singlets?

Message-ID: <5209103D.6020805 at awpi.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"



I am flying without the winglets.

I would like more directional control, and am compensating with faster

approaches.  I believe I will be testing them to see if they allow me

better control at slower airspeeds.



This will probably happen this fall after things cool off.  I was at the

airport testing on Saturday, battling my high temps.  It's just too hot

right now to tackle all of the minor squawks I've got.  On my last

flight I advanced the timing slightly and got a hot #3 cylinder as a

result, but my oil duct cooling scoop seemed to work keeping my oil

temps below redline.



On 8/12/2013 11:35 AM, jeff findarle wrote:

> OK, I have talked to a few people who built their birds without the

> winglets and are telling me they are definitely fine without them. Any

> others out there like to comment?

> Of course I realize that maybe they have not flown a Velocity with

> them, but they all said they have had no problems in slow flight

> controlability or in crosswind landings.

> I really would prefer not to have them on the plane if possible.

> TEAM JEFF,

> Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel

> Realtor                     Realtor

>

> AllStar Realty

> 575 N main St.

> Heber City, UT. 84032

>

> Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514

> Darin's Cell 435-671-3957

> Off. 435-654-9440

> Fax 435-654-9437

>

> Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!

> Don't Lose it, Sell it!

>

>

> _______________________________________________

> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>

> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130812/97183027/attachment-0001.html>




------------------------------



Message: 3

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:55:36 -0500

From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>

To: jeff findarle <flynfndarle at yahoo.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners

        and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

Cc: Reflector POST <reflector at tvbf.org>

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anyone flying without bottom singlets?

Message-ID: <5C1024D0-AD0E-4761-B3DD-BF9DB386D60B at verizon.net>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"



I have flown with winglets and had no issues.

I prefer them not only for flight characteristics that many have documented but I think they look better also

Kevin Baker



.



On Aug 12, 2013, at 11:35 AM, jeff findarle <flynfindarle at yahoo.com> wrote:



> OK, I have talked to a few people who built their birds without the winglets and are telling me they are definitely fine without them. Any others out there like to comment?

> Of course I realize that maybe they have not flown a Velocity with them, but they all said they have had no problems in slow flight controlability or in crosswind landings.

> I really would prefer not to have them on the plane if possible.

>

> TEAM JEFF,

> Jeff Findarle, GRI & Darin Heckel

> Realtor                                          Realtor

>

> AllStar Realty

> 575 N main St.

> Heber City, UT. 84032

>

> Jeff's Cell 435-503-0514

> Darin's Cell 435-671-3957

> Off. 435-654-9440

> Fax 435-654-9437

>

> Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!

> Don't Lose it, Sell it!

> _______________________________________________

> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>

> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130812/8361aca8/attachment-0001.html>




------------------------------



_______________________________________________

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose



End of Reflector Digest, Vol 101, Issue 32

******************************************



-- 



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130812/f371677e/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: star1385.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 280363 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20130812/f371677e/attachment-0001.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list